Please Help Me Choose A New Pump

I'm trying to help my parents replace their old Hayward pump for something more efficient.

Their electric rate is $0.09/kWh. They have a 14k gallon concrete pool (no water features) and the 1hp pump is pretty close to the deep end of the pool and runs for 8hours daily. They are also upgrading to a SWG in the near future. I'm not sure if they will need to replace their standard timer or not.

What do you suggest? How much with they save on their electric bill?

Hard to say for sure but they will certainly save A LOT of money if you switch them over to a 2-speed pump. It sound like their pool is not very complicated in terms of features so going with a 2-speed will allow them to run the pump at a much lower speed and consume something like 1/3rd the power.

If you search for water pump posts by the user mas985 you'll find the information he has posted to be the best at describing pool pump choices.

What type of filter do they have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have a couple of choices. 1) Replace the motor on that pump with a 2-speed model or 2) Replace the pump with a equivalent 2-speed model.

The pump doesn't look to be in bad shape so I'd investigate just replacing the motor. You'll need to know the voltage it's running at before looking for a new one.

Either replace the motor with a two speed or get a new two speed pump. The Hayward Max-Flo XL Pool Pump 2-Speed 1HP 115V 230V | SP2307X102 is probably the best value out there for a new pump.

I think the STS1102RV1 - AO Smith Pool Filter Motor is the right two speed replacement motor. Make sure you have 230 volts and that the mounting flange is correct for your pump. Be sure and get a new shaft seal if you replace the motor.

They would not have to replace their standard timer, but you would need a means to change the pump speed. The way I have mine set up is that I put a double throw toggle switch in the bottom of my timer box, downstream from the timer mechanism, to switch from low to high speed.

Also, they probably don't need to run the pump for eight hours. Four hours is likely sufficient, even on low speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.