Overwhelmed

Apr 9, 2015
Brookline
I need a pump and filter for my new pool. I am building the whole thing and there are way to many decisions. I need a pump and filter for a 18x36 single roman end with roman stair pool. Solar is 85 feet away and 20 feet up. 2 skimmers, 4 returns and a slide. Help me decide! I have gone though many post and can not decide.

I'm not a great equipment guy, but from what I have seen most people need a larger filter than they think they do and a smaller pump than they want. Your distance and solar are definitely a reason to upsize the pump.

As far as filter, you have many options. Sand, DE and cartridge. They all have advantages and disadvantages. Read here: Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison When it comes to filter size with your size pool, it's hard to go too big. Bigger is better. I only have some expertise in sand filters and I'd say for your size pool at LEAST a 27" sand filter with 350 lbs. of sand. 31" would be even better. You do have a 6 cart filter so if you have more details on that it would help.

When it comes to pumps, I'm no expert on sizing especially for solar configurations but you should also consider the type of pool cleaner you'll be wanting as well. A pressure side cleaner would necessitate a booster pump or cleaner that's capable of operating only on the circulation pump. A robot cleaner would have no impact on your circulation system. A dual speed or variable speed pump would save you operating costs and advisable with a solar heating system. My hunch would be a 1.5 HP variable or dual speed pump would be enough but there are other experts who know more on this subject than I do.

What do you put your volume at?
What type of filter do you want? Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison
How big is the solar array?

I would certainly suggest a 2-speed pump so that you can run on low when solar is not needed.
I too am not that good at recommending a pump size for a 20foot rise.
I would think a 1.5HP 2-speed Superflo might be about the minimum you would want.

Because you probably close your pool in the winter, I would stay clear of a cartridge unless you are willing to add a filter bypass and vacuum to drain plumbing.

Inheriting Hayward 3/4 super and older style (6) cartridge filter system.
What is wrong with this equipment?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.