Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Overwhelmed

1. Back To Top    #1

Overwhelmed

I need a pump and filter for my new pool. I am building the whole thing and there are way to many decisions. I need a pump and filter for a 18x36 single roman end with roman stair pool. Solar is 85 feet away and 20 feet up. 2 skimmers, 4 returns and a slide. Help me decide! I have gone though many post and can not decide.
    Southern New Hampshire, 18x36 single roman end pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Overwhelmed

I'm not a great equipment guy, but from what I have seen most people need a larger filter than they think they do and a smaller pump than they want. Your distance and solar are definitely a reason to upsize the pump.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

bump
    Southern New Hampshire, 18x36 single roman end pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

As far as filter, you have many options. Sand, DE and cartridge. They all have advantages and disadvantages. Read here: Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison When it comes to filter size with your size pool, it's hard to go too big. Bigger is better. I only have some expertise in sand filters and I'd say for your size pool at LEAST a 27" sand filter with 350 lbs. of sand. 31" would be even better. You do have a 6 cart filter so if you have more details on that it would help.

When it comes to pumps, I'm no expert on sizing especially for solar configurations but you should also consider the type of pool cleaner you'll be wanting as well. A pressure side cleaner would necessitate a booster pump or cleaner that's capable of operating only on the circulation pump. A robot cleaner would have no impact on your circulation system. A dual speed or variable speed pump would save you operating costs and advisable with a solar heating system. My hunch would be a 1.5 HP variable or dual speed pump would be enough but there are other experts who know more on this subject than I do.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

What do you put your volume at?
    What type of filter do you want? Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison
    How big is the solar array?

I would certainly suggest a 2-speed pump so that you can run on low when solar is not needed.
    I too am not that good at recommending a pump size for a 20foot rise.
    I would think a 1.5HP 2-speed Superflo might be about the minimum you would want.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Jandy VS JEP2.0-----Jandy CV340 filter. The VS will save you on electric and the filter is easy to clean and works great.

7. Back To Top    #7

Because you probably close your pool in the winter, I would stay clear of a cartridge unless you are willing to add a filter bypass and vacuum to drain plumbing.

Inheriting Hayward 3/4 super and older style (6) cartridge filter system.
    What is wrong with this equipment?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater