Does Arm and Hammer and add Borates

Dan P

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Miami, Fl
I ordered the borate test strips from tftestkits and test showed 15%. I want to add borax to my pool as recommended in other posts, 30-50. Does the baking soda add borax? If not, why did test show borates?

My first question when folks want to add borates is why do they want to? I truly feel that most people should have a season or two under their belt before they add another dimension to their pool care.

I will have to leave the test reading to Chem Geek to sort out.

I agree with Tim. The question is why.
Borax is used to raise pH and can help stabilize it a bit. But if you dont have a pH problem, then there really isnt a reason to add it.

If its a water chemistry thing, then post up some test results and we can have a look.

If you want the "shine" to the water and the silky feel, well, I think those are subjective. I Borated my pool and really dont tell any difference between with and without. Again I agree with Tim about waiting to add another variable to the question. Once you have your water balanced for several months on end without any problems and start understanding the chemistry a bit, then thats when its time to experiment with borates.

Try testing tap water to see what that looks like on the test strip. There are no borates in tap water. I suspect it's just variation between the test strip and the reference colors on the bottle. Baking Soda should not register as borates on the test strip.

Try testing tap water to see what that looks like on the test strip. There are no borates in tap water. I suspect it's just variation between the test strip and the reference colors on the bottle. Baking Soda should not register as borates on the test strip.
Thank you Richard. I said earlier I learn something every day, so I can go to bed now.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.