Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does Arm and Hammer and add Borates

1. Back To Top    #1

Does Arm and Hammer and add Borates

I ordered the borate test strips from tftestkits and test showed 15%. I want to add borax to my pool as recommended in other posts, 30-50. Does the baking soda add borax? If not, why did test show borates?
    Built March 2015 13000 gallon free form exposed aggregate with sheer descent, Jandy 2HP VSP, Jandy 1400 SWG with Aqualink PDA and AquaCal electrical heater. Pentair Clean and Clear filter 150SF. TF100 test kit. Pentair Kreepy Krualy Great White.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does Arm and Hammer and add Borates

My first question when folks want to add borates is why do they want to? I truly feel that most people should have a season or two under their belt before they add another dimension to their pool care.

I will have to leave the test reading to Chem Geek to sort out.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with Tim. The question is why.
    Borax is used to raise pH and can help stabilize it a bit. But if you dont have a pH problem, then there really isnt a reason to add it.

If its a water chemistry thing, then post up some test results and we can have a look.

If you want the "shine" to the water and the silky feel, well, I think those are subjective. I Borated my pool and really dont tell any difference between with and without. Again I agree with Tim about waiting to add another variable to the question. Once you have your water balanced for several months on end without any problems and start understanding the chemistry a bit, then thats when its time to experiment with borates.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Try testing tap water to see what that looks like on the test strip. There are no borates in tap water. I suspect it's just variation between the test strip and the reference colors on the bottle. Baking Soda should not register as borates on the test strip.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    Try testing tap water to see what that looks like on the test strip. There are no borates in tap water. I suspect it's just variation between the test strip and the reference colors on the bottle. Baking Soda should not register as borates on the test strip.
    Thank you Richard. I said earlier I learn something every day, so I can go to bed now.....
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon