is it effective to leave pump off for 24 hours to let all the dead algea wtc sink

We don't shock. We SLAM. I would not leave my pump off 24 hours. I run mine about 11-12 hours a day. It is off overnight for 12-13 hours. In the morning when I get up if there is suff settled on the bottom(usually dirt or sand for me) I vacuum and then brush and turn the filter back on.

If,following the TFP,system many folks open to a clear pool and have no need to "shock". If the pool is anything but clear, then a SLAM is in order. As Lisa points out, we generally don't use the term shock. Main.y because a one time addition of extra chlorine really doesn't do anything more than give the pool store some extra money by selling you that little package of shock.

I just want to add that by following our methods many of us go years between having to do a SLAM, the only time it is needed is after some extraordinary event like storm water getting into the pool, or major equipment failures.

Why not brush then vacuum?
if you brush first you will stir up stuff from the bottom. Even pushing the vacuum around will stir stuff up, but not as bad. Vacuum then brush followed by pump time which could,capture the stuff you stir up,by brushing.

Now, with that being said, there is no "right" answer. Do what works for you.

I choose to vacuume first as I can see everything sitting on the bottom. If I brush first then it all gets scattered, some gets filtered out through the skimmer, but for the most part I have discovered that if it was on the bottom, the it will just end up back on the bottom.

I used to brush first and a couple hours later when my filter was off, I would have to vaccume again. I only have to vaccume every 3 days or so doing the vacuming first. When I brushed first, I would have to vacuume 2-3 times a day.

As Tim said, there is not right or wrong way when it comes to vacuuming and brushing. It is just what works for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.