Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: is it effective to leave pump off for 24 hours to let all the dead algea wtc sink

1. Back To Top    #1

is it effective to leave pump off for 24 hours to let all the dead algea wtc sink

I hear people talk about after shocking (for pool opening) to have pump off for 24h is this Effective? Supposidly so everything sinks to bottom and u can vacuum it up...
    18x38 IG
    Appox. 85000litres
    Jacuzzi laser sand filter
    1hp pump
    Municipal water

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: is it effective to leave pump off for 24 hours to let all the dead algea wtc sink

We don't shock. We SLAM. I would not leave my pump off 24 hours. I run mine about 11-12 hours a day. It is off overnight for 12-13 hours. In the morning when I get up if there is suff settled on the bottom(usually dirt or sand for me) I vacuum and then brush and turn the filter back on.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: is it effective to leave pump off for 24 hours to let all the dead algea wtc sink

If,following the TFP,system many folks open to a clear pool and have no need to "shock". If the pool is anything but clear, then a SLAM is in order. As Lisa points out, we generally don't use the term shock. Main.y because a one time addition of extra chlorine really doesn't do anything more than give the pool store some extra money by selling you that little package of shock.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

I just want to add that by following our methods many of us go years between having to do a SLAM, the only time it is needed is after some extraordinary event like storm water getting into the pool, or major equipment failures.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Why not brush then vacuum?

Quote Originally Posted by Azgirl71 View Post
    We don't shock. We SLAM. I would not leave my pump off 24 hours. I run mine about 11-12 hours a day. It is off overnight for 12-13 hours. In the morning when I get up if there is suff settled on the bottom(usually dirt or sand for me) I vacuum and then brush and turn the filter back on.
    18x38 IG
    Appox. 85000litres
    Jacuzzi laser sand filter
    1hp pump
    Municipal water

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by wantboost View Post
    Why not brush then vacuum?
    if you brush first you will stir up stuff from the bottom. Even pushing the vacuum around will stir stuff up, but not as bad. Vacuum then brush followed by pump time which could,capture the stuff you stir up,by brushing.

Now, with that being said, there is no "right" answer. Do what works for you.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I choose to vacuume first as I can see everything sitting on the bottom. If I brush first then it all gets scattered, some gets filtered out through the skimmer, but for the most part I have discovered that if it was on the bottom, the it will just end up back on the bottom.

I used to brush first and a couple hours later when my filter was off, I would have to vaccume again. I only have to vaccume every 3 days or so doing the vacuming first. When I brushed first, I would have to vacuume 2-3 times a day.

As Tim said, there is not right or wrong way when it comes to vacuuming and brushing. It is just what works for you.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process