start pool with chlorine tabs, switch to salt later?

Jul 16, 2008
smithfield VA
Ok, got the pool up in the nick of time and should be finished filling tonight for my son's party tomorrow. :whoot:

Question: I have a salt water generator from my old pool, but it is going to take some finagaling to plumb it in to the new one.

If I hook up the system that came with it (pump, chlorine tab dispenser thingy, and filter all in one box that hangs from the side) just for now, will it cause problems switching over to the SWG system next week?

I understand that the in-the-box system is likely not substantial enough to work well, AGP are usually packaged with the smallest system they can claim is the right size. I have a larger pump and sand filter and I have the SWG, I just can't jerry-rig it all together in time.

Thank you.

That will be fine. The tablets will start to add the CYA you need. Although you might consider adding 30ppm of CYA now, and some bleach to get the FC up to 2ppm ... and then let the tablets start to do their thing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.