Pool return not working

Jun 10, 2015
bayville, NJ
Hi everyone,
i'm new on here and happy that I've found this site. Our 18 x36 in-ground pool has finally filled up to the level we need it in order to run the pump (we had our vinyl liner replaced) 3 lbs of shock are in, but I noticed that one of the 4 returns is not pushing the water out like the others. When I cover the return with my hand for a second or two, the pressure gets better. Any idea as to what is going on?
thank you:drown:

You have very little flow but it will build pressure over time? That sounds like some sort of restriction in the plumbing - a chunk of plaster or a collapsed pipe. See if you can't unscrew the return jet and look inside. Maybe there's some plaster in a few inches you can poke loose with something.

The other possibility is that the pipes are too small for the jets or the jets are too big for the pipe. If it's the farthest jet from the pump, what happens when some helpers stick their thumbs in two of the other returns? If the slug picks up speed, you just need to get smaller return eyeballs.

Thanks for your. Reply!
It's actually the return closest to the pump. We closed another return off and the water flow was much stronger. After opening it again it's back to a slow flow. No pipes or jets had been replaced so I am guessing that's not the problem. I sure hope that there is not crack in the pipe.....
any other suggestions?
patty

- - - Updated - - -

I double checked all the valves to make sure they are open all the way.