New pool setup this weeknd. New to pools. Got well water tested......

BLUE66

Jun 11, 2015
SHIOCTON
Been lurking around trying to learn.
New above ground 14x38 Intex pool. Cheapo filter that comes in kit...
Setting up this weekend.
Stopped at pool place to get water tested......Well water.
FC .08
TC.08
CC 0
PH 7.8
HARDNESS 272
Alkalinity 212
CYA 2
Copper .1
Iron .1

Of course he tried selling me Chlorinator dispenser, tablets, PH down, and a FC and PH test kit. And then said you may want some pH up incase it goes to low.
I asked about using Muratic acid rather than PH down and he said ohhhh we don't sell that here.

Anyhow, do I bring to a FC shock level on startup?
Any pointers on a new startup with the water results above?
I have no idea what I am doing other than browsing around on here.

Thanks for your time! Brian

Why are you bringing it up to shock? It's a new fill isn't it? Interestin that he found CYA in your well water...

Get some stabilizer in a sock hanging in front of a return. Target 30 right now.

You want less than 1ppm FC today, and use the chart to bring it up based on 30"cYA tomorrow

A splash of acid to vein the pH down a hair.

Wait, you will need a test kit just not the cheep one he was selling. Pick up a TF100 at tftestkits.net. While you are there the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer will make your testing quick and easy.

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

Get one of the Recommended Test Kits, I use the TF100 from tftestkits.net

Add the stabilizer/CYA as Tim mentioned. See recommended chemicals link below for more info. Here is the Chlorine CYA Chart used to calculate your chlorine level.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles in case you missed any of them.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.