Intro and San Diego New Build

Feb 20, 2015
La Jolla, CA
Hello all. Great forum. I'm learning more everyday.

I've collected 4 bids for different designs and concepts for my relatively small backyard in La Jolla, CA. We have 5yr and 3yr old boys that initially pointed us in the direction of getting a rect pool with auto cover but it seems like much of the utility of it will be gone in just a year or two once both boys are certified fish. On the North edge of our yard is a retaining wall and steep grade up while just on the other side of the East fence is a 5ft unsupported drop the neighbor's house. We have been advised that it's possible to avoid costly reinforcement if you stay a minimum of 10ft back from these types of conditions. Below is a concept that I came up with that staggers the walls/spa on a diagonal to match up with that 10ft setback line.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations for layout/depth/# of spa jets/size of pumps/number of pumps/elevations/equipment as well as recommendations for any other San Diego PBs that we should talk to. We hope to break ground in a month!

Pool
perimeter 77'
depth 3.5'-6.5'
18" walls on either side of pool leading to spa
2 sheer descents
allowance for tile on walls and for 6" waterline
pebble sheen
Pacific stone coping
2 Lights

Spa
7'x7'
6 jets
perimeter 28'
depth 46-48" (I'm 6'3" and expect the boys to be tall as well)
waterfall infinity edge
12" higher than neighboring patio walls (30" above pool)
allowance for tile instead of pac stone coping since it's waterfall edge
light

Misc
Solar (100% coverage on roof since we are coastal and climate is generally mild...the warmer the pool, the better)
Jandy 400 heater
Jandy 460 filter
Neverlube valves
Jandy salt
Levelor autofill
Zodiac RS4 + iAqualink 2.0

top view.jpg
From Southwest view.jpg
Screenshot 2015-06-11 07.46.52.jpg

Hello all. Great forum. I'm learning more everyday.

I've collected 4 bids for different designs and concepts for my relatively small backyard in La Jolla, CA. We have 5yr and 3yr old boys that initially pointed us in the direction of getting a rect pool with auto cover but it seems like much of the utility of it will be gone in just a year or two once both boys are certified fish. On the North edge of our yard is a retaining wall and steep grade up while just on the other side of the East fence is a 5ft unsupported drop the neighbor's house. We have been advised that it's possible to avoid costly reinforcement if you stay a minimum of 10ft back from these types of conditions. Below is a concept that I came up with that staggers the walls/spa on a diagonal to match up with that 10ft setback line.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations for layout/depth/# of spa jets/size of pumps/number of pumps/elevations/equipment as well as recommendations for any other San Diego PBs that we should talk to. We hope to break ground in a month!

Pool
perimeter 77'
depth 3.5'-6.5'
18" walls on either side of pool leading to spa
2 sheer descents
allowance for tile on walls and for 6" waterline
pebble sheen
Pacific stone coping
2 Lights

Spa
7'x7'
6 jets
perimeter 28'
depth 46-48" (I'm 6'3" and expect the boys to be tall as well)
waterfall infinity edge
12" higher than neighboring patio walls (30" above pool)
allowance for tile instead of pac stone coping since it's waterfall edge
light

Misc
Solar (100% coverage on roof since we are coastal and climate is generally mild...the warmer the pool, the better)
Jandy 400 heater
Jandy 460 filter
Neverlube valves
Jandy salt
Levelor autofill
Zodiac RS4 + iAqualink 2.0

View attachment 38189
View attachment 38190
View attachment 38191

Looks good, we are in process with one of three bids in. we will be 5 ft off property line rectangular for lap and auto cover, this site has been very helpful when speaking with builders.

Awesome design!!! I love all the rectangles - they keep the eyes moving! Do you have steps for old people like me? Do you have any pictures of the property or yard where the pool will be? This will be an interesting build! Thanks for sharing with us! Take care. Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.