Is this amounty of Clorine loss normal?

May 26, 2015
spring hill, FL
Hey guys, I have a quick question. Been using the TFP method for the past couple weeks now, and my pool looks great, but I'm curious if its normal to lose 4-5ppm of FC each day? Here are today's test results (TF-100)

FC-2
CC-0
pH-8.0
TA-100
CH-400
CYA-50

Added liquid chlorine and muriatic acid according to pool math, after 40 minutes, readings were

FC-6
CC-0
pH-7.5
TA-100
CH-400
CYA-50

My question is, just about every afternoon when I get home from work and I test, the FC is 1-2, so I add the appropriate chlorine, but is this much of a loss normal? My pool is uncovered, in west coast central Florida, and sees sun for 10-12hr per day. I know the FC loss is normal, but am I supposed to be losing 4-5ppm? If this is normal, I wont worry too much about it. Thanks for the input!

have you done a OCLT?? you need to do that to see if you have algae and if slam is needed.

that amount seems high for FC lost. if you pass the OCLT, then yes, that's how much FC you are going to be losing, but I doubt it. im guessing you got an algae issue starting.

im an hour south of you and I lose about 2ppm or so, but have a higher CYA since im on a SW pool. other numbers look great.

That seems like too much of a loss for a CYA of 50ppm.
You have been letting your FC get too low, so it would not surprise me if something was now growing in the water consuming the FC.
For CYA of 50ppm the FC should NEVER be below 4ppm. See the FC/CYA Chart

At this point I would suggest following the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process ... at a minimum Perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test with the FC up near shock level to try to confirm if something is in the water.

4-5 per day seems a bit high. On the other hand, if there's always a mess of kids slathered up with sunscreen in there, it would be normal.

Run the overnight loss test. Take FC up to 10ish after dinner and leave the pump run. Shut off the autochlorinator if you're still using it. After the sun stops shining on the water and no more swimmers will be in the pool, take a FC reading. Tomorrow morning, take another FC reading before the sun hits the water. If it's within 1 of where it was, it's not algae. If you lost more than 1, something's growing in there. Jack the FC up to 20 and kill it. It's the SLAM process, but it could be over with in a day if you caught it early enough.

I can't say there's a "mess of slathered up kids", but both my kids (11 and 14) are in the pool for a little bit every day while I'm at work, LOL. I will do the overnight test and let you know. How many hours is reasonable for the overnight test? It doesnt get dark until 9 or so, and I leave the house at 530 each morning, would 9pm-5am be long enough?

I can't say there's a "mess of slathered up kids", but both my kids (11 and 14) are in the pool for a little bit every day while I'm at work, LOL. I will do the overnight test and let you know. How many hours is reasonable for the overnight test? It doesnt get dark until 9 or so, and I leave the house at 530 each morning, would 9pm-5am be long enough?
Yes, that should be plenty.

concur with Richard. I lost FC of 6 last sunday when my brother, his wife, my niece and sister all came over to swim for several hours.

My sister in law was all: "oh no, I can see some tanning lotion oils on the surface of your water.....sorry about that"

me: "no worries"

concur with Richard. I lost FC of 6 last sunday when my brother, his wife, my niece and sister all came over to swim for several hours.

My sister in law was all: "oh no, I can see some tanning lotion oils on the surface of your water.....sorry about that"

me: "no worries"

A non TFP and she probably would have never noticed the lotion on the surface! Horrible having crystal clear water isnt it? ;)

Alright, after adding more chlorine, in case of algae, I tested it at 830pm, FC-8, CC-0, TC=8. This morning at 520am, I tested FC-8, CC-0, TC=8. So I passed the overnight. I suppose with kids playing and full sun all day, I am just losing that much chlorine. Thanks for the help all!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, definitely reassured now. I think I'll just start bringing my chlorine up to 8 each day, that way I won't be dropping below 4, hopefully.

I would raise your CYA up a little too and see if it helps...maybe add 10ppm.

and then I would talk to the kids about the FC loss...i.e. peeing in the pool :)

but great news you passed the OCLT!

btw, my parents live in Spring Hill as well.

I would raise your CYA up a little too and see if it helps...maybe add 10ppm.

and then I would talk to the kids about the FC loss...i.e. peeing in the pool :)

but great news you passed the OCLT!

btw, my parents live in Spring Hill as well.

Well, I hope the kids aren't peeing, they say they aren't, but who knows lol. I considered throwing in a couple tablets into the auto chlorinator until I get to 60 CYA, but I really was trying to stay at 40-50. Spring hill is great, been here for 11 years!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.