Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this amounty of Clorine loss normal?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this amounty of Clorine loss normal?

Hey guys, I have a quick question. Been using the TFP method for the past couple weeks now, and my pool looks great, but I'm curious if its normal to lose 4-5ppm of FC each day? Here are today's test results (TF-100)

FC-2
    CC-0
    pH-8.0
    TA-100
    CH-400
    CYA-50

Added liquid chlorine and muriatic acid according to pool math, after 40 minutes, readings were

FC-6
    CC-0
    pH-7.5
    TA-100
    CH-400
    CYA-50

My question is, just about every afternoon when I get home from work and I test, the FC is 1-2, so I add the appropriate chlorine, but is this much of a loss normal? My pool is uncovered, in west coast central Florida, and sees sun for 10-12hr per day. I know the FC loss is normal, but am I supposed to be losing 4-5ppm? If this is normal, I wont worry too much about it. Thanks for the input!
    12k in ground, 14x28 sports pool, concrete/plaster/diamond brite, uncovered
    Waterway 1.5hp pump, waterway 150sqft cartridge filter, auto chlorinator, on city water, Zodiac MX8

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this amounty of Clorine loss normal?

have you done a OCLT?? you need to do that to see if you have algae and if slam is needed.

that amount seems high for FC lost. if you pass the OCLT, then yes, that's how much FC you are going to be losing, but I doubt it. im guessing you got an algae issue starting.

im an hour south of you and I lose about 2ppm or so, but have a higher CYA since im on a SW pool. other numbers look great.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

3. Back To Top    #3

That seems like too much of a loss for a CYA of 50ppm.
    You have been letting your FC get too low, so it would not surprise me if something was now growing in the water consuming the FC.
    For CYA of 50ppm the FC should NEVER be below 4ppm. See the FC/CYA Chart

At this point I would suggest following the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process ... at a minimum Perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test with the FC up near shock level to try to confirm if something is in the water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

No, I haven't performed the overnight test, I will do that tonight and let you know. Thanks for the advice
    Waterway 1.5hp pump, waterway 150sqft cartridge filter, auto chlorinator, on city water, Zodiac MX8

5. Back To Top    #5

4-5 per day seems a bit high. On the other hand, if there's always a mess of kids slathered up with sunscreen in there, it would be normal.

Run the overnight loss test. Take FC up to 10ish after dinner and leave the pump run. Shut off the autochlorinator if you're still using it. After the sun stops shining on the water and no more swimmers will be in the pool, take a FC reading. Tomorrow morning, take another FC reading before the sun hits the water. If it's within 1 of where it was, it's not algae. If you lost more than 1, something's growing in there. Jack the FC up to 20 and kill it. It's the SLAM process, but it could be over with in a day if you caught it early enough.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I can't say there's a "mess of slathered up kids", but both my kids (11 and 14) are in the pool for a little bit every day while I'm at work, LOL. I will do the overnight test and let you know. How many hours is reasonable for the overnight test? It doesnt get dark until 9 or so, and I leave the house at 530 each morning, would 9pm-5am be long enough?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Xandraxal View Post
    I can't say there's a "mess of slathered up kids", but both my kids (11 and 14) are in the pool for a little bit every day while I'm at work, LOL. I will do the overnight test and let you know. How many hours is reasonable for the overnight test? It doesnt get dark until 9 or so, and I leave the house at 530 each morning, would 9pm-5am be long enough?
    Yes, that should be plenty.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

concur with Richard. I lost FC of 6 last sunday when my brother, his wife, my niece and sister all came over to swim for several hours.

My sister in law was all: "oh no, I can see some tanning lotion oils on the surface of your water.....sorry about that"

me: "no worries"
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    concur with Richard. I lost FC of 6 last sunday when my brother, his wife, my niece and sister all came over to swim for several hours.

My sister in law was all: "oh no, I can see some tanning lotion oils on the surface of your water.....sorry about that"

me: "no worries"
    A non TFP and she probably would have never noticed the lotion on the surface! Horrible having crystal clear water isnt it?
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

10. Back To Top    #10

Alright, after adding more chlorine, in case of algae, I tested it at 830pm, FC-8, CC-0, TC=8. This morning at 520am, I tested FC-8, CC-0, TC=8. So I passed the overnight. I suppose with kids playing and full sun all day, I am just losing that much chlorine. Thanks for the help all!

11. Back To Top    #11

Good reassurance that the OCLT was fine. Even better you know how to do it. Nice!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes, definitely reassured now. I think I'll just start bringing my chlorine up to 8 each day, that way I won't be dropping below 4, hopefully.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Xandraxal View Post
    Yes, definitely reassured now. I think I'll just start bringing my chlorine up to 8 each day, that way I won't be dropping below 4, hopefully.
    I would raise your CYA up a little too and see if it helps...maybe add 10ppm.

and then I would talk to the kids about the FC loss...i.e. peeing in the pool

but great news you passed the OCLT!

btw, my parents live in Spring Hill as well.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

14. Back To Top    #14

Mine in full sun in Texas loses 4ppm on average daily with CYA at 50 or 60. Has since day one.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by DaninFLA View Post
    I would raise your CYA up a little too and see if it helps...maybe add 10ppm.

and then I would talk to the kids about the FC loss...i.e. peeing in the pool

but great news you passed the OCLT!

btw, my parents live in Spring Hill as well.
    Well, I hope the kids aren't peeing, they say they aren't, but who knows lol. I considered throwing in a couple tablets into the auto chlorinator until I get to 60 CYA, but I really was trying to stay at 40-50. Spring hill is great, been here for 11 years!