New Snowmobile

reindeerboy

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2008
Jamestown, ND
Up here in ND, its started to get fairly cold. Snow will be on its way soon. I ordered my new sled and the dang thing arrived the other day. Thought I would post some pics on the site for all to see.

Got my winter cover on right now and the water has started to freeze. I did take a peek underneath it and it looks like I will have some algae to clean up next spring. A few small leaves must have got underneath and started some algae growth. I thought I had that licked but its better than last years mess anyway.

Planning to put in new sand, laterals, 1.5 hp hayward pump, and a couple new jandy valves and to clean up my pad area with a better system to run my pipes. I have it all down on how I want it done, priced out, and ready to roll. Now I can just start to purchase everything in March and then by late April, I can start to get to work on installing everything and opening the pool. Cant wait.

In the meantime, I am an avid sledder as well. We have a group that heads out to Montana 3 to 4 times a year. I threw a few pics of my new sled. Hope everyone likes it.

Until then, I wish everyone a safe and happy holiday season! :goodjob:

Attachments

• Sled Pics 08-09 003.jpg
    Sled Pics 08-09 003.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 383
  • Sled Pics 08-09 002.jpg
    Sled Pics 08-09 002.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 381
Those things should be illegal!!! It's horrible that you're going to tear around in the beautiful pristine wilderness on that machine and tear up the countryside and scare all the animals!

:blah: :blah: :blah:

Just kidding! That does look like a blast... I haven't ridden a snow machine in 20+ years but that looks way different than I remember... what's with the crazy extended handlebars? And the seat almost looks like it slides forward and back... Is this a specialized machine?

Well yes. It is a deep powder machine. Most of the time you are standing up when riding and that is why the handle bars are up higher. The strap in the middle is there so you can grap it with one arm and lean to one side when you are climbing up a mountain or side hilling it. That means you are going horizontally across the mountain and in order to stay right side up, you have to lean to one side and pull the sled over with you. Its a great workout, and good for the heart!

A quick demonstration would be to go on youtube and type in "mountain sled riding" or something like that and you can get a video on what we do with them. The seat is not forward. Actually the track length is 154 inches long so it just looks like the seat is forward.

In regards to the "scenery", I have been asked that many times by many people and you really are not tearing anything up when you go. We always respect nature and treat it accordingly. Even the sleds now days are EPA approved so all that negative publicity you hear of sleds hurting mother nature is not necessarily true anymore. Technology-Got to love it!

I hope that helps?

WOW, beautiful rig you have there! I've got to get me something like that. Been up north(I live in southern WI) a couple of times snowmobiling with friends and watching those vids on Youtube(search Sledheads and Slednecks) makes me want to get up there!

Just curious, what would something like that set one back?

Adam

Anywhere between $6 to $10,000. Depends on what kind of riding you plan to do. The rig you see above is for mountain and like the black hills area in ND & SD. If you are doing flat riding with deep snow, then this kind of sled would still work well. This is a Skidoo sled. There are Yamaha, Arctic Cat, and Polaris kinds of sleds as well. If you dont want new, then try ebay. You take a chance of getting a sled that may not be in great condition but that is the chance you take.

I love this sport. Riding sled in the mountains for me is like therepy!

Have a good one!

Hey reindeerboy, nice ride!
I have lived in VA all my life, but went to the Adirondacks in NY for our senior trip, it was a blast! We got to try out some snowmobiles on Schroon Lake, I'll never forget how fun that was.
Anyway, you're right about the 'abuses' some people ask about; we make wood and pellet stoves where I work and with the EPA regs. now, the environmentalists who are informed actually like our product! Imagine that! :p
Good luck and have fun, I'd love to come check that ND snow out sometime. We had a gal in our class from ND and I swear, she was one of the nicest people I ever met. Good stock out there, I'm sure.

Thanks Todd. If you are in the neighborhood, look me up. Id be happy to show you around.

We just got a couple inches of snow but now enough to ride out here yet. I actually like to ride in the mountains as the snow doesnt get as hard due to having so much wind here in ND. I still ride in certain areas as there are hills and creeks that have some awesome hillclimbing here, but I like to try different areas as well.

Thanks for the compliment on ND people. I take pride in our state as I feel we are one of most hospitable states out there. People think we talk like that movie from Fargo, and some still do, but most really dont. Yes, I do have a little bit of that come out in me from time to time, but not near as bad as what that movie potrayed.

Thanks again for the nice compliment. Have a great winter!

PS. I attached an avy slide in Cooke City Montana. Thought this would help give everyone an idea of the terrain. A buddy of mine died in this one on 12/2006. I gave him CPR for 45 minnuttes, no cell coverage, and when EMS arrived it was already too late. He was 6 feet under the snow and it took us 18 minnutes from the time he was burried to the time I pulled him out and started CPR. I still ride, but am much more cautious now.

Have a great holiday everyone!

Attachments

• cooke.jpg
    cooke.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 216

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow! Sorry to hear about your buddy. It's amazing to some of us who live in the more 'developed' areas (even though I live on a mountain, it's still East Coast) that there are still places like this out there.
My boss went Elk hunting out west (Montana if I remember correctly) and they had to have horses haul the meat back out of the wild. It was a trip that took several days. Supercool, an awesome reminder of the beauty of creation.

Thought I would post a couple pics from last year out in the mountains with the kids.

The yellow & blue sled was my old sled that I traded off now on the pics listed above.

Snow some here this morning but still not enough to ride on dangit! :rant:

Oh, well. 2 weeks and we head to the mountains anyway. I will have to break in the sled out there I guess.

Enjoy & cheers! :cheers:

Attachments

• Picture 027.jpg
    Picture 027.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Picture 041.jpg
    Picture 041.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 88
Re: New Snowmobile-Blizzard pics of pool attached.

Thought I would attach some pics of the pool now during a Blizzard here today in ND. Its -12 with a 40 mph wind. Wind chill is -50.

I love ND, but I am not too fond of the wind chill. Love the snow though.

The pics are of the backyard pool. The fence is put around the pool to keep our 2 dogs from going anywhere close to the pool. I use some chicken wire and a couple of fence posts. I then took 1.25 pvc and put a cap on it and put it into one of the holes where the steps are going into the pool for the railing. Then pull it tight and there ya have it. A great way to keep pets and any other critters (rabbits) from messing with the pool in the winter months.

Enjoy the pics. :goodjob:

Attachments

• Sled Pics 08-09 011.jpg
    Sled Pics 08-09 011.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Sled Pics 08-09 012.jpg
    Sled Pics 08-09 012.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Sled Pics 08-09 013.jpg
    Sled Pics 08-09 013.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 44

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.