ALright - Im back with normal CYA

good job on the pics, great looking pool. Will look even greater with the crystal clear water you've got coming your way !

Just an observation, I noticed you hadn't posted any CC levels in your test. It's not necessary to check it now anyway, but if you were wondering where all that FC was going to, that's where. It's the chlorine that has done it's job killing the bad guys. You really won't need to test it till you are ready for OCLT, but for me checking it occasionally and watching that number drop showed that I was near the finish line. The downside is I used a lot more reagents :testkit:, but I like playing with the speedstir :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work :sunny:

good job on the pics, great looking pool. Will look even greater with the crystal clear water you've got coming your way !

Just an observation, I noticed you hadn't posted any CC levels in your test. It's not necessary to check it now anyway, but if you were wondering where all that FC was going to, that's where. It's the chlorine that has done it's job killing the bad guys. You really won't need to test it till you are ready for OCLT, but for me checking it occasionally and watching that number drop showed that I was near the finish line. The downside is I used a lot more reagents :testkit:, but I like playing with the speedstir :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work :sunny:

I normally test CC every other time and it has consistently been at .5 - so I have been adjusting my FC reading by that. Is that normal.

Also just Vacuumed and checked my FC and it is at 17 down from 23 roughly 12 hours ago. seems like I am holding on to my chlorine a lot better. Unfortunately still zero change in the clarity of the water. Is that normal?

I went ahead and dropped my Kreepy Krauly in and will leave it for a few hours unless anyone thinks that is a bad idea...?

I normally test CC every other time and it has consistently been at .5 - so I have been adjusting my FC reading by that. Is that normal.

Also just Vacuumed and checked my FC and it is at 17 down from 23 roughly 12 hours ago. seems like I am holding on to my chlorine a lot better. Unfortunately still zero change in the clarity of the water. Is that normal?

I went ahead and dropped my Kreepy Krauly in and will leave it for a few hours unless anyone thinks that is a bad idea...?

That's good, the way I understand your FC is fighting algae AND eliminating CC, so low CC I assume means FC is having less CC to deal with (uh.. I think):rolleyes: Bottom line, keeping the FC up means it's working.

Don't get frustrated, like Kim said it didn't get that way overnight so it won't get crystal clear overnight. Yes, for me the green slime went away rather quickly, but the clarity took awhile longer. It may seem like you hit a point of no more gain, but you are gaining everyday.

Remember, algae can be a stubborn and ornery cuss, he's trying to hide from the chlorine, but the good guys will win. Just because the green is gone doesn't mean it's gone. The chlorine is still attacking organics in your pool. Like the others have said, that's why it's important to brush to get the hideaways and to break the surface algae has covered itself in to survive. And even though stirring it up makes your pool cloudy again, that's a good thing ! Now it's out in the open where chlorine can get after it, Like high noon in the middle of the street :hammer:

P.S. - that's why they like pictures. Even if you can't tell, their trained eyes can spot the differences in your water :eye:

34a4a576a94dc7ef5584401f0086c0a1.jpg
955a3a539f5361e129f746f4f6455b91.jpg

Pics from just now. A lot sunnier but water pretty much looks the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FC - 19...water still the same. Keep on Slamming.

Yes keep on SLamming, there are a number of posts here of people who didn't stay at slam levels and allowed algae to get another foot hold ! They basically had to start SLam over again. I know it seems like a lot of bleach.. and it is. But just remind your self of how much the pool store would charge you for their magic potions that would keep you coming back for even more STUF to counter what they had you put in !

I know it sounds like pool store bashing, but I'm really not.(though I could with a clear conscious). I know how much my wife would spend on clarifier, dropout, Phos free, and even the copper ionizer over the years and it makes me a little angry :grrrr:, When I discovered TFP was right here and so easy I could do it. She doesn't really know my secret and the family thinks I'm a genius :king:

That a long way of saying it works, it takes time though, the first time through and it gets easier from here. It's a lot easier than trying to eat with chopsticks ;)

Thanks lefty - can I ask is it normal that I am seeing literally zero results? I have followed slamming to a T the last 48 hours and the water looks exactly the same. I am reading a ton of other SLAM threads and it seems that other folks are not experiencing this issue - obviously there are other problems. Just curious if in your experience this is normal or should I start to see the cloudiness dissipate some...a little...anything? :)

My concern is that tomorrow I have to go back to work and will not have close to the amount of time to dedicate to this that I have had yesterday and today. My other concern is that I have a circulation or flow issue. Anyways figured I would ask.

Thank you again for your help and support!

Well, seeing results is in how you look at it(no pun intended) I only have my pool to reference, where Kim and the gang have countless pools to refer to (ergo, why they love pictures so much, proof positive )
In my case the pool look actually like a swamp, I was scooping out leaves, worms, etc. by the net full. Once I had the big stuff removed, it allowed the chlorine to really work on the other. It only took maybe three days to go from dark green to a blueish green cloud. It probably took another week working on the "cloudy" before I was ready to do the OCLT. Others do it in less. Remember, you and I are new at this, in the future I believe it will be a walk in the park :D.

Even if you don't "see" results looking at your water, you can see results in your chemistry. That's why this works. Less FC loss each time. Lesser backwashes, Longer times between checking. the results are there to "see".

I'm retired, so I could babysit my pool and read posts online. Knowing you have to go to work, hopefully Kim or one of the others will give you a guide in how to leave the pool alone for awhile and not lose ground. Hang in there :thumleft:

In rereading your post, do you have a flow or circulation problem or were you just asking as to why no change. unless your gauge is showing irregular readings or there is little return pressure from the jets, you should be fine. If the water is flowing around and mixing in chemicals like it normally does your good.

Since you have to work, I would check FC in the morning and adjust according. I would go higher by a little to give you a "cushion" while your gone. I would adjust higher based on how much you've been losing through out the day. If you're able to check around lunch time, great. If not try to gauge where you think FC should be when you get home and try to leave a little wiggle room so you don't drop too far.

and remember, no DE if your not there to watch pressure :thumleft:

Last edited:
In rereading your post, do you have a flow or circulation problem or were you just asking as to why no change. unless your gauge is showing irregular readings or there is little return pressure from the jets, you should be fine. If the water is flowing around and mixing in chemicals like it normally does your good.

Since you have to work, I would check FC in the morning and adjust according. I would go higher by a little to give you a "cushion" while your gone. I would adjust higher based on how much you've been losing through out the day. If you're able to check around lunch time, great. If not try to gauge where you think FC should be when you get home and try to leave a little wiggle room so you don't drop too far.

and remember, no DE if your not there to watch pressure :thumleft:

How do I know that my Sand Filter is filtering the water. I know I have suction from when I vacuum and I can see the water swirling around the skimmer. I know my circulation is bad because my jets/returns are in weird places. In the deep end for example they are about 4 feet under water. But the jets are returning water. I am just wondering if my pump is pumping the water but the filter is not doing the work to clear out the cloudiness. I am fine to stay patient and keep slamming - just want to make sure I am not wasting time.

FC this morning 35 drops so 17.5 - .5 CC = FC 17. Water looks exactly the same - no change in clarity. Thinking I will add 2 121 oz jugs of the 8.25% to tide it over til I get back from work. That should take my FC up to 24 and gradually come back down to 16ish.

How do I know that my Sand Filter is filtering the water. I know I have suction from when I vacuum and I can see the water swirling around the skimmer. I know my circulation is bad because my jets/returns are in weird places. In the deep end for example they are about 4 feet under water. But the jets are returning water. I am just wondering if my pump is pumping the water but the filter is not doing the work to clear out the cloudiness. I am fine to stay patient and keep slamming - just want to make sure I am not wasting time.

FC this morning 35 drops so 17.5 - .5 CC = FC 17. Water looks exactly the same - no change in clarity. Thinking I will add 2 121 oz jugs of the 8.25% to tide it over til I get back from work. That should take my FC up to 24 and gradually come back down to 16ish.

You're probably at work now, but here goes. Your filter is filtering (remember the DE experience ?) As far as circulation, I don't know how many returns you have or where exactly they're located. There is someone on here who is familiar with the shape of your pool and might be able to suggest return jet positions and drain/skimmer settings for best circulation. I have a rectangular pool with 3 returns on one long side and a single skimmer on the down wind side of opposite side, plus two bottom drains at the deep end. I normally have the three returns pointing the same way to create a circular flow towards skimmer. Remember, if your returns aren't pointed up towards the surface where you can "see" the water moving, it's still moving. (Still waters run deep is the old saying) Your water is still moving, even if you can't see it moving.

Ok, remember the goal is to KEEP the FC at 24 (I believe that's your target) as much as possible. If you have to be away at work, I think you can target say 28 to give you some room for drop

Thanks lefty - my target is 16 - cya is 40. I brought it up to 20 before I left and I am hoping my wife will pour some bleach in for me around lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See, you just taught me something. When I plugged your numbers into pool math, I forgot to change one important number. I had my CYA listed instead of yours, that's where I got the FC of 24 :oops:

That robot you have running around...have you pulled that out and inspected it closely? Perhaps all of its insides have algae. Robots, rails, light niches, if it was a swamp and algae was everywhere, then those types of spots might need some manual cleaning to speed up the process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.