Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Upsize PVC if I need to change pipes?

1. Back To Top    #1

Upsize PVC if I need to change pipes?

I have a serious leak in my suction line located below my deck in a Y joint (where both my skimmers join before heading to the jandy and pump. I'm at the point where I'll need to either patch or for a bit more money and effort I could upsize from a 1.5" suction to a 2". What do you guys think? I won't be changing the return lines which are 1.5". Is there any advantage? I know this will lower the pump load for the same flow rate.
    1977 Plaster 25K Gal (2014 replaster)
    1HP Pentair 348023 SuperFlo Energy Efficient Single Speed Pool Pump 230V;
    Hayward 48 sqft DE filter
    1.5" suction/return lines
    2 skimmers and 2 inlets

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Upsize PVC if I need to change pipes?

I would upsize ... especially if you only have 1 pipe. Although if you are going through the effort, I would run the 2 skimmers separately all the way to the pump and control them with valves.

Is the Y joint actually schedule 40 PVC? That would be a rare fitting. More likely it was not the right type of fitting for the job.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I would upsize ... especially if you only have 1 pipe. Although if you are going through the effort, I would run the 2 skimmers separately all the way to the pump and control them with valves.

Is the Y joint actually schedule 40 PVC? That would be a rare fitting. More likely it was not the right type of fitting for the job.
    As far as I can tell it is a "Y" because it doesn't make a hard 90 degree turn but I can hear the gurgling at the joint. I haven't excavated everything, 3 hours was my limit last night. Good idea on the independent lines, I think that's how it should have been run in the first place.

What is the required depth? As they are now they're about 2' below grade.
    1977 Plaster 25K Gal (2014 replaster)
    1HP Pentair 348023 SuperFlo Energy Efficient Single Speed Pool Pump 230V;
    Hayward 48 sqft DE filter
    1.5" suction/return lines
    2 skimmers and 2 inlets

4. Back To Top    #4

No idea what the required depth is in your area. Below frost line?

If you go with 2 lines, I might just leave the original one and add a 2nd 1.5" PVC line for the other skimmer. Although if you ever had to turn one off, then you would be back to only 1 1.5" pipe, but there should be no reason to do that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!