Pool Suddenly Cloudy in the Deep End

So - I'd also add at least a quart of some good quality ($26/qt.) algaecide - the killer, not the preventer - and hit it with a couple of cases (8 gallons) of liquid shock. Remember - liquid chlorine shock is heavier than water, add the majority of it close to the break near the shallow end so it doesn't hang out in the deep end and bleach the liner. I know, a lot of stuff to dump in, and the water's going to be out of whack for a few days or better, but this water is pretty out of shape!

Not necessarily TFP methodology above. The only algaecide killer is chlorine, preferably in liquid form to prevent side effects on pH or CH or CYA. And don't use 8 gallons of shock or you may bleach the liner. Add what poolmath suggests, as Richard recommended above

Thanks, everyone. I ran over to Wal-Mart and bought six big things of bleach. Folks there probably thought I was trying to clean up a murder scene. :p

Anyway, I got the Great Value brand. The jugs are 121 fluid oz and have 8.25% Sodium Hypochlorite; says it yields 7.8% available chlorine. I dumped four of those into the deep end in front of a return jet.

Also, dumb me didn't realize that hubby had previously purchased a test kit. It's a Taylor K-1004. Good or no? I know it doesn't test for CYA. Can I just add things to this kit to make it the one everyone recommends? Or should I buy the one everyone recommends separately?

Does the pool have a "main drain'? ie;a fitting at the deep end from where the filtration system can draw water to filter? If so, is the valve open? Is the pump strainer clean? Filter clean? While I agree with other's observations re; water chemistry, circulation is mighty important too. I assume you run your pump 24/7? You need to.
Watch out for trying to do too much adjustment at once. the pH is off-the-charts too low - baking soda will bring that up - and it will take quite a bit. The total alk numbers don't make sense, a new pool with a fresh fill sure shouldn't have a total alk as low as 46, and what is "adjusted total alk"? Did someone adjust it even lower? Ouch. Soda ash (sodium carbonate) is used to bring that up, in a liner pool it should be at least 80, I usually like to see around 120 or so. You'll need a lot of that as well. I'd make it a priority to concentrate on getting the pH and total alk up where it should be - liner pool should be close to 7.4 (the pH of your eyes). Low pH wrinkles liners and takes the life out of them quicker than necessary. The trouble with this is, it will take more than a few days to stabilize the pH and especially the total alk adjustments, and like ohers have said, you don't have much time before the water turns. So - I'd also add at least a quart of some good quality ($26/qt.) algaecide - the killer, not the preventer - and hit it with a couple of cases (8 gallons) of liquid shock. Remember - liquid chlorine shock is heavier than water, add the majority of it close to the break near the shallow end so it doesn't hang out in the deep end and bleach the liner. I know, a lot of stuff to dump in, and the water's going to be out of whack for a few days or better, but this water is pretty out of shape!

Be sure the pump and filter are working as they're supposed to! Good luck.

Yes, it has a main drain. I'll find out tomorrow from my husband if the valve is open, but I'm 99.9% sure that it is. Everything is clean.

- - - Updated - - -

That is lacking a lot of the tests you need.

So buy the lacking tests individually? Or just chuck the existing one and buy the big one?

Richard, I'm just learning here, but how did you come to that number? Am I using the wrong chart? http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock
That's the right chart. Target when you add bleach for 60 CYA is 7. Many people target 8 just for the margin of safety. 10 is not much higher than 8.

Shock level - where you kill algae much faster than it can reproduce is 24 FC for 60 CYA. 10 is way below that. 10 is actually shock level for anything below 20 CYA.

How I came up with the 10 is by using Effects of Adding Chemicals down near the bottom of poolmath. If you calculate the pool volume and enter it at the very top and scroll down, it can tell you how much each chemical addition will affect things. The pH calculation is an estimate. There's a disclaimer down there too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.