Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Pump Capacitor Replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Pump Capacitor Replacement

Hey guys - been a while since I've been on here. Tuesday evening, I noticed my pump wasn't on, so I manually shut off the timer, and I figured I would just start researching the problem on Wednesday. After reading a few posts on here and on youtube, the cause of my pump's failure seems to be the pump's capacitor. When it was on, it would hum slightly. It's a Pentair 1hp superflo pump, so it had a "doghouse" on the top of the motor to hold the capacitor. I cut the power, and attempted to spin the impeller from the strainer side, and it would spin freely both directions. So I took the old capacitor off IAW the youtube video, and tried to test it. All I have is a digital multi-meter, but supposedly, only analog and very special digital meters could be able to test it. My ohm reading was "infinite", being it displayed just a "1".

I later researched that the capacitor terminals can become bowed outward when they go bad, which - on the old one - they definitely were. I went ahead and ordered one with the same specs as the old one off of amazon, just because I could next day it. My pool is starting to turn a bit cloudy, and with the weekend...if I need to order some other part, I need to do it soon so I can get it here ASAP. So my question is...for you guys that have done this, does this definitely sound like a capacitor problem? Or should I be looking somewhere else?

16,500 Gallon Rectangular Vinyl Pool; Aquarite SWCG T-15

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Pool Pump Capacitor Replacement

It does sound like the start cap.

I would get some bleach in the pool and stir it around with a brush/net to mix it as well as possible.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool Pump Capacitor Replacement

Yep, sure nuff, new capacitor fixed it. Fitting was slightly different. Same diameter as the old one, but the new one was an inch longer. Had to modify the doghouse casing to get it to fit right, but it cranked right up. Thanks!
    16,500 Gallon Rectangular Vinyl Pool; Aquarite SWCG T-15