Recommended Levels for my pool

May 29, 2015
Roanoke, IL
First post and new to TFP !!
Used the SLAM method for the first time this year and had great success. Our pool is very clear and things seem to be going well.
There is always a stated "range" of where the various levels should be, but I was wondering if you had suggestions as to where they should be for my particular pool situation - particularly the TA and CH as they seem to be the levels that are usually the farthest off of the "normal ranges". The pool calculator is awesome but am not sure what I should use for my "target" levels.
Right now levels are at:
FC 4
CC .2
PH 7.5
TA 175 (this seems high but some of your posts suggest that 175 is ok)
CH 200
CYA 30 (I can barely see the dot at 30 ppm and I also SLAMMED at the CYA 30 level)

I added Borax the first day for PH levels and haven't had to add any additional Borax or Baking Soda since then.
I lose about 2ppm of FC each day and add bleach in the evenings, which brings me to my next question:
Is it better to test the water and add the necessary products in the morning or evening?

Thanks for a great way to take care of my pool!!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

low CH does not matter for a vinyl pool
high TA will just drive up the pH faster than would happen if it was lower. No need to actively worry about it, just keep the pH in the 7s ... or follow this to Lower Total Alkalinity.

When you test and add chemicals does not really matter as long as the pump is running 30 minutes before you test and 30 minutes after you add chemicals.

so, if you PH is stable and you have not raised or lowered it, you are exactly where your pool likes it... keep everything the same as you have been doing, GREAT JOB :)

Welcome ! :wave:

Whenever you test and add, just make sure the pump has been on for thirty minutes or more beforehand and is on thirty minutes or more after. What time of day is up to you. If your utility company has tiered rates depending on time of day, the choice has been made for you.

If the pH holds for a few days between acid additions, it's perfect wherever it is. I mean... the stuff came out your faucet, you drink it and bathe in it, so it's not harmful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.