Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommended Levels for my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Roanoke, IL

Recommended Levels for my pool

First post and new to TFP !!
    Used the SLAM method for the first time this year and had great success. Our pool is very clear and things seem to be going well.
    There is always a stated "range" of where the various levels should be, but I was wondering if you had suggestions as to where they should be for my particular pool situation - particularly the TA and CH as they seem to be the levels that are usually the farthest off of the "normal ranges". The pool calculator is awesome but am not sure what I should use for my "target" levels.
    Right now levels are at:
    FC 4
    CC .2
    PH 7.5
    TA 175 (this seems high but some of your posts suggest that 175 is ok)
    CH 200
    CYA 30 (I can barely see the dot at 30 ppm and I also SLAMMED at the CYA 30 level)

I added Borax the first day for PH levels and haven't had to add any additional Borax or Baking Soda since then.
    I lose about 2ppm of FC each day and add bleach in the evenings, which brings me to my next question:
    Is it better to test the water and add the necessary products in the morning or evening?

Thanks for a great way to take care of my pool!!
    Installed 2003; 15K gal; IG Vinyl; Tagelus TA-60 sand filter; 1 HP Century/Centurion A.O. Smith BX3-18 single speed pump; Hayward H150 heater; solar cover; manually sweep; add water with softened well water

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Recommended Levels for my pool

Welcome to TFP!!!

low CH does not matter for a vinyl pool
    high TA will just drive up the pH faster than would happen if it was lower. No need to actively worry about it, just keep the pH in the 7s ... or follow this to Lower Total Alkalinity.

When you test and add chemicals does not really matter as long as the pump is running 30 minutes before you test and 30 minutes after you add chemicals.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

Welcome to the forum. We say test and add in evening if possible so more FC stays in your pool over nite.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

so, if you PH is stable and you have not raised or lowered it, you are exactly where your pool likes it... keep everything the same as you have been doing, GREAT JOB
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Welcome to TFP! Great job so far!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Welcome !

Whenever you test and add, just make sure the pump has been on for thirty minutes or more beforehand and is on thirty minutes or more after. What time of day is up to you. If your utility company has tiered rates depending on time of day, the choice has been made for you.

If the pH holds for a few days between acid additions, it's perfect wherever it is. I mean... the stuff came out your faucet, you drink it and bathe in it, so it's not harmful.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!