Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool has tons of dirt/ sand in it !!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool has tons of dirt/ sand in it !!

Ok, long story but was replacing my liner and had a rain storm pop up and wash some dirt/sand onto the liner while filling. Pool is a 27' with expandable liner to 72". so while the middle was filling i had liner just laying around at the pool wall bottom edge. Got a huge rain storm and it washed dirt all over liner, so i pumped water off liner and tried to get as much dirt off liner as i could and figured before another rain storm comes i better level out my sand and get liner down and start filling it again up ASAP. My pool is buried and almost flush with ground and a rain storm could really cause a mess if i dont get it filled to keep pressure on the walls...etc.

anyway with all that being said i filled up pool thinking i can just vacuum on waste and remove all the dirt. But with my surprise i filled pool with this BRAND new muddy liner and cannot see bottom... i have ran pool since Sunday and backwash twice a day with muddy water coming out of the pump. i have vacuumed on waste and removed tons of dirt but it is still pretty stirred up.
    I use the BBB methon on my pools, but i am wondering if i should be using floc and then i can vacuum all this red dirt/sand off the bottom? How should i go about cleaning this??? any help is appreciated. any ideas????

I have not messed with chemicals yet as it was just filled 4 days ago. i did start adding bleach yesterday but have not messed with ph or stabilizer yet as i figured i will be wasting lots of water.

thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool has tons of dirt/ sand in it !!

Sounds like you need to keep doing what you are doing.

We generally do not recommend the use of flocs, clarifiers, etc as they often do not work and may make the problem worse.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Darn i was hoping that floc would help

to keep pool from going green on me should i just bite the bullet and put stabilizer in? i feel like these 90+ degree days with bleach is burning up once the sun shines on it. or just keep hitting it every night with bleach?

4. Back To Top    #4

It might ... or it might not ... thus not Trouble Free

CYA would certainly help protect the FC from the sun ... but you may need to follow the SLAM process to help clear up the organics in the water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

That is what I was wondering as well, with the organics that are in the water how can I tell if I should slam the pool
    Assuming slamming the pool is shocking
    Should I be doing an overnight chlorine test or checking for combined chlorine

6. Back To Top    #6

SLAMing is not "shocking" as you may be familiar with it. See the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

Yes the OCLT would tell you if how much FC is being consumed in the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator