Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New SWG pool owner HELP!

1. Back To Top    #1

New SWG pool owner HELP!

I just tested the water in my pool and it shows HIGH pH 8.4 plus HIGH Alkalinity 240 and HIGH Calcium
    I did use well water to fill the pool.. I tried pool math but I was confused...Remember this is my first pool, I'm afraid of pouring chemicals in without being sure of amounts...Thank you for your help!
    Above ground saltwater pool
    24 x 52

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New SWG pool owner HELP!

You came to he right place, and welcome! We have many SWG expert here. Here is some info on the Poolmath calculator:
    Enter the capacity of your pool at the top. Then on the left, pick a category (i.e. FC for Free Chlorine). Enter your NOW number, and enter what your TARGET or goal is. You will find that out by looking at either that the Recommended Level or Chlorine/CYA chart links in my sig below. The calculator will tell you how much of what type chemical is required to help you meet that target. Does that help?

- - - Updated - - -

I will also tell you that well water have the potential to create a problem or two, but nothing that can't be addressed here. Besides what I've said already, let us know if the water changes color or has any "tint" to it (i.e. yellow or green).

Most importantly ... what test kit are you using to get those readings?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

First, answer TxSp question, what test kit are you using? If it is not one of the Recommended Test Kits then do not add anything to your pool. Test strips and pool store test results are almost as good as sticking your finger in the water, holding it up to the wind and writing down what you think the number is.

Here is the Water Balance for SWG Pools
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them
    Use Poolmath to calculate how much to add
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!! I'm so lost!! I used hth test strips...I guess this is my first mistake...The water looks clear, but has a green tint on the wall and floor of the liner. The test does say all levels are high.. Salt is good though. I just want the green tint to go away!
    Thanks again for all the help!
    24 x 52

5. Back To Top    #5

Should I leave things alone until I get better test strips? Or clean and vacuum the sides and bottom to get the green tint off?
    24 x 52