Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to TFP and Ready to Get Started

1. Back To Top    #1

New to TFP and Ready to Get Started

Hi Guys/Gals,

I've been lurking around here for about a month counting down the days until that one would come where we would have to let our pool guy go and now I can say that the day has finally come. I've read quite a bit about the TFPM and really love how well this site has been put together. The method illustrates a direct, no-nonsense and even frugal approach to maintaining a sparkling pool year round.

So I've acquired some of the basic laundry aisle chemicals and cleaning tools to start tackling the job myself. I have taken a baseline test and have a solid direction on where I need to go thanks to this site. I'm now looking forward to tapping into the knowledge of the forums to maintain my pool so I can enjoy it all year. Having just moved from the beach to this house far from it, we are all excited that we get to swim in our backyard now!

*To those sympathetic to the pool guy; when asked about the TA and CH I got a look like I just started speaking swahili to him
    28,000gal IG plaster, Leslie's Crystal Clear II DE Fliter, Pentair 2HP 2 speed, Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: New to TFP and Ready to Get Started

Welcome to TFP!!

Might as well post some pics of the pool and also a complete set of test results like:
    Tc
    Fc
    Cc
    Ch
    Ta
    Cya
    Ph
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Good for you. If you'r anything like me you'll appreciate taking care of it yourself more.
    -25,000 gal. freeform gunite, smooth quartz finish w/ spa
    -2 hp Jandy Pro Series Stealth; Jandy Pro Series Cartridge Filter (CV340)
    -Jandy Pro Series AquaPure Chlorinator; Jandy Pro Series JXi Heater
    -Zodiac MX8 cleaner; Taylor K-2005 DPD Complete Chlorine Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! Pictures to come.

I made a separate thread for my stats in the Testing and Balancing Your Water sub but heck, why not here too?

FC 2 ppm
    CC 0
    pH7.8
    TA 110 ppm
    CH 280 ppm
    CyA 45
    28,000gal IG plaster, Leslie's Crystal Clear II DE Fliter, Pentair 2HP 2 speed, Taylor K-2006

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome! Seeing that you have one of the recommended kits, you're a step ahead of the game. Post those numbers and we'll do a sanity check together to see how it looks. Links below, especially the Chlorine/CYA chart, are paramount to maintaining crystal clear water. Let us know if you have any questions.

- - - Updated - - -

And there you go! NUMBERS!

- - - Updated - - -

Get your FC up to 6 right away, and you should never let it drop below 4 based on the CYA chart (yours rounded up to 50). Watch your PH since you're right at the top of your bracket (7.5 - 7.8). Add liquid bleach is your first priority. You can use the Poolmath Calculator (link below) to figure out exactly how much bleach to add. If you get confused, just ask.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everybody. Chlorine and muriatic acid have both been added. I'll check in the AM to see if we are back in range.

Obligatory pool photo

7. Back To Top    #7

Alright! Nice pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach