Greenville, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-55
It's the same thread; over and over and over and over.

Hi! I have a green pool! My pool store/terrible test kit says [nonsense]! I have shocked the pool with 1000 bags of shock. Shock! I shocked with shock! It's not shocking the pool.

100x a day. But you calmly and politely suggest they get a test kit and post numbers. 1/2 do, 1/2 wander off.

You guys have a lot of patience, I commend you. I would want to tell them "Go read 10 threads and come back with any questions that those didn't answer"

As a final thought, how did "shock" come into the universal solution to pool problems? Everyone who hears or sees something about a green or cloudy pool blurts out "shock" like you poked them with a pin and they said "ouch".

Thanks again for this forum and your seemingly endless patience.

Yup, it can get pretty repetitive ... so when you burn out repeating yourself, take a break :D

Shock is such a horrible word because is can mean SO MANY different things both nouns and verbs ...
- dropping a nuke load of chlorine in the pool
- dropping 1 pound of powder chlorine in the pool
- a 1 pound bag of cal-hypo chlorine
- a 1 pound bag of dichlor chlorine
- a 1 pound bag of lithium chlorine
- high strength liquid chlorine from a pool store
- etc
- etc

Which is why most of us HATE the term because it is impossible to know what someone means by it.
And thus we created the "SLAM process" term to try to differentiate what we teach from all that other non-sense.

Problem is now new members are catching on to this new buzz word and started using it the same way as they used to use "shock". They come to the forum and say "I just SLAMed my pool last night and it is still green" Clearly, they do not really know what SLAMing means.

Feel free to jump in and start answering some of these monotonous threads and help us maintain our sanity :hammer:

It's the same thread; over and over and over and over.

Hi! I have a green pool! My pool store/terrible test kit says [nonsense]! I have shocked the pool with 1000 bags of shock. Shock! I shocked with shock! It's not shocking the pool.

100x a day. But you calmly and politely suggest they get a test kit and post numbers. 1/2 do, 1/2 wander off.

You guys have a lot of patience, I commend you. I would want to tell them "Go read 10 threads and come back with any questions that those didn't answer"

As a final thought, how did "shock" come into the universal solution to pool problems? Everyone who hears or sees something about a green or cloudy pool blurts out "shock" like you poked them with a pin and they said "ouch".

Thanks again for this forum and your seemingly endless patience.

OMG Do you know how many times I day I think the same thing! I personally would get tired of the repetition. Hats off to to everyone who has the patience to do this day in and day out.

haha me too.

when I found the forum in anticipation of closing on a home with a pool, I went
straight to pool school then chemistry section.

Also ordered a TF-100 the next day before I made any posts.

Well, we were all new to this at one time and had to learn the language and figure it out. Not a one of us were born ready to care for a pool.

That said, sometimes it does get to me. That is why my post count is so low for having been here for six years. This year I intend to stick with it. Seeing as I am transitioning to a career more along the lines of the forum it is important for me to always research.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

While from this side of the screen they all appear the same, remember to the person asking the question they're generally in a panic and searching back thru threads won't work because their problem is "different".

It is often the same thread over and over and over as you say. But I think everyone here would say it feels rewarding when someone comes over from the dark side of blind pool store instructions because of something you were able to help educate about.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
LOL, I was thinking this today, and then I also wondered if I should be answering questions when my pool wont be installed until next week..

:geek: :whoot: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :suspect:

I get obsessed with things :)

You guys that do this every day rock, I know you have helped my a lot!

I think I'm finally comfortable with answering questions.

When I need to learn something (like this) I usually obsess about it for months and by the end I'm an expert lol

This topic has been covered already. Use the search function. :p

I was actually thinking about this topic earlier today before seeing this thread. I've seen it on other forums on other subjects..."use the search you knucklehead". Kudos to the members who patiently respond and help the frantic pool newbie without screaming about searching for the answers.

This topic has been covered already. Use the search function. :p

I was actually thinking about this topic earlier today before seeing this thread. I've seen it on other forums on other subjects..."use the search you knucklehead". Kudos to the members who patiently respond and help the frantic pool newbie without screaming about searching for the answers.
trying to force folks to use the search function when they are stressed is just going to drive them back to a pool store for more abuse. Most just need some personal attention until they can calm down and start to understand the system. The problem is that there is a lot of information with lots of subtle nuances. I generally learn something new every day. And, as Rochard pointed out, a lot of that learning is from making sure I'm correct when I answer a question.

The best way to really understand is to try to teach it to someone else.

Hint, hint.

Richard, you deserve an award for being the SLAM saint...I'm amazed at your patience in answering questions that have been answered many many times before and are very well spelled out in pool school.

trying to force folks to use the search function when they are stressed is just going to drive them back to a pool store for more abuse. Most just need some personal attention until they can calm down and start to understand the system. The problem is that there is a lot of information with lots of subtle nuances. I generally learn something new every day. And, as Rochard pointed out, a lot of that learning is from making sure I'm correct when I answer a question.

I agree. Its seems people are looking for personal guidance and don't want to be bothered with the time it takes to read a few short pages that explain everything very well.

I've pretty much limited my reading to anything Chem Geek writes

I agree. Its seems people are looking for personal guidance and don't want to be bothered with the time it takes to read a few short pages that explain everything very well.
im not sure it's really that they can't be bothered, but more that they are overwhelmed. There is just so much information available on this site, it's like trying to take a drink from a fire hose. To them it's an emergency. They don't understNd that they are better off taking a deep breath and composing themselves rather than throwing stuff in the water willy nilly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.