Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I don't see how you guys do it

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

I don't see how you guys do it

It's the same thread; over and over and over and over.

Hi! I have a green pool! My pool store/terrible test kit says [nonsense]! I have shocked the pool with 1000 bags of shock. Shock! I shocked with shock! It's not shocking the pool.

100x a day. But you calmly and politely suggest they get a test kit and post numbers. 1/2 do, 1/2 wander off.

You guys have a lot of patience, I commend you. I would want to tell them "Go read 10 threads and come back with any questions that those didn't answer"

As a final thought, how did "shock" come into the universal solution to pool problems? Everyone who hears or sees something about a green or cloudy pool blurts out "shock" like you poked them with a pin and they said "ouch".

Thanks again for this forum and your seemingly endless patience.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I don't see how you guys do it

Yup, it can get pretty repetitive ... so when you burn out repeating yourself, take a break

Shock is such a horrible word because is can mean SO MANY different things both nouns and verbs ...
    - dropping a nuke load of chlorine in the pool
    - dropping 1 pound of powder chlorine in the pool
    - a 1 pound bag of cal-hypo chlorine
    - a 1 pound bag of dichlor chlorine
    - a 1 pound bag of lithium chlorine
    - high strength liquid chlorine from a pool store
    - etc
    - etc

Which is why most of us HATE the term because it is impossible to know what someone means by it.
    And thus we created the "SLAM process" term to try to differentiate what we teach from all that other non-sense.

Problem is now new members are catching on to this new buzz word and started using it the same way as they used to use "shock". They come to the forum and say "I just SLAMed my pool last night and it is still green" Clearly, they do not really know what SLAMing means.

Feel free to jump in and start answering some of these monotonous threads and help us maintain our sanity
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    It's the same thread; over and over and over and over.

Hi! I have a green pool! My pool store/terrible test kit says [nonsense]! I have shocked the pool with 1000 bags of shock. Shock! I shocked with shock! It's not shocking the pool.

100x a day. But you calmly and politely suggest they get a test kit and post numbers. 1/2 do, 1/2 wander off.

You guys have a lot of patience, I commend you. I would want to tell them "Go read 10 threads and come back with any questions that those didn't answer"

As a final thought, how did "shock" come into the universal solution to pool problems? Everyone who hears or sees something about a green or cloudy pool blurts out "shock" like you poked them with a pin and they said "ouch".

Thanks again for this forum and your seemingly endless patience.
    OMG Do you know how many times I day I think the same thing! I personally would get tired of the repetition. Hats off to to everyone who has the patience to do this day in and day out.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

haha me too.

when I found the forum in anticipation of closing on a home with a pool, I went
    straight to pool school then chemistry section.

Also ordered a TF-100 the next day before I made any posts.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm new compared to many of these TFP veterans, but I have learned quickly to cut & paste with the best of them for that very reason. Nice of you to comment.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Well, we were all new to this at one time and had to learn the language and figure it out. Not a one of us were born ready to care for a pool.

That said, sometimes it does get to me. That is why my post count is so low for having been here for six years. This year I intend to stick with it. Seeing as I am transitioning to a career more along the lines of the forum it is important for me to always research.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

While from this side of the screen they all appear the same, remember to the person asking the question they're generally in a panic and searching back thru threads won't work because their problem is "different".
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

"Shock" in the pool industry generally refers to wallet shock I think.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

It is often the same thread over and over and over as you say. But I think everyone here would say it feels rewarding when someone comes over from the dark side of blind pool store instructions because of something you were able to help educate about.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Thanks, Bruce. It is a lot of repetition, but as you said we have to be patient and help each person as they all have different circumstances.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

LOL, I was thinking this today, and then I also wondered if I should be answering questions when my pool wont be installed until next week..

I get obsessed with things
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

12. Back To Top    #12

Please!!! start answering questions if you can
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

You guys that do this every day rock, I know you have helped my a lot!

I think I'm finally comfortable with answering questions.

When I need to learn something (like this) I usually obsess about it for months and by the end I'm an expert lol
    Lomart 18x48 AGP 7000Gal
    Hayward S210T w/Hayward 1hp Power-Flo Matrix Pump 2-Speed
    TF-100 w/Speedstir!

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    While from this side of the screen they all appear the same, remember to the person asking the question they're generally in a panic and searching back thru threads won't work because their problem is "different".
    If I had a bottle of bleach for every time I did a search I wouldn't be buying any for a couple of years
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by mnasholm View Post
    You guys that do this every day rock, I know you have helped my a lot!

I think I'm finally comfortable with answering questions.

When I need to learn something (like this) I usually obsess about it for months and by the end I'm an expert lol
    The best way to really understand is to try to teach it to someone else.

Hint, hint.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

16. Back To Top    #16

This topic has been covered already. Use the search function.

I was actually thinking about this topic earlier today before seeing this thread. I've seen it on other forums on other subjects..."use the search you knucklehead". Kudos to the members who patiently respond and help the frantic pool newbie without screaming about searching for the answers.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by DaneCE View Post
    This topic has been covered already. Use the search function.

I was actually thinking about this topic earlier today before seeing this thread. I've seen it on other forums on other subjects..."use the search you knucklehead". Kudos to the members who patiently respond and help the frantic pool newbie without screaming about searching for the answers.
    trying to force folks to use the search function when they are stressed is just going to drive them back to a pool store for more abuse. Most just need some personal attention until they can calm down and start to understand the system. The problem is that there is a lot of information with lots of subtle nuances. I generally learn something new every day. And, as Rochard pointed out, a lot of that learning is from making sure I'm correct when I answer a question.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    The best way to really understand is to try to teach it to someone else.

Hint, hint.
    Richard, you deserve an award for being the SLAM saint...I'm amazed at your patience in answering questions that have been answered many many times before and are very well spelled out in pool school.

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    trying to force folks to use the search function when they are stressed is just going to drive them back to a pool store for more abuse. Most just need some personal attention until they can calm down and start to understand the system. The problem is that there is a lot of information with lots of subtle nuances. I generally learn something new every day. And, as Rochard pointed out, a lot of that learning is from making sure I'm correct when I answer a question.
    I agree. Its seems people are looking for personal guidance and don't want to be bothered with the time it takes to read a few short pages that explain everything very well.

I've pretty much limited my reading to anything Chem Geek writes
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    I agree. Its seems people are looking for personal guidance and don't want to be bothered with the time it takes to read a few short pages that explain everything very well.
    im not sure it's really that they can't be bothered, but more that they are overwhelmed. There is just so much information available on this site, it's like trying to take a drink from a fire hose. To them it's an emergency. They don't understNd that they are better off taking a deep breath and composing themselves rather than throwing stuff in the water willy nilly.

20. Back To Top    #20

My reward is seeing a pool that was GREEN get clear and the person is SO happy and loves their pool again!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast