Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Taylor k-2006 kit... Questioning results

1. Back To Top    #1

New Taylor k-2006 kit... Questioning results

I am new to the forum, but I have been reading pool school for the last month. My Taylor kit k-2006 came in a couple days ago and I immediately tested the water.
    FC 10.6
    ph 7.3
    TA 110
    CH 230
    CYA 130 (I'm guessing bc it was past the last mark at 100). What!?!?

The results seemed correct except cya. How did it get that high when it was 46 the week before on the test from the pool store? I tested at home again this morning and took a sample to the pool store.

taylor results Pool store (computerized test)
    FC 6.5. FC 5.1
    ph 7.3. ph 7.3
    TA 110. TA 65
    CH 230. CH 239
    CYA 130. CYA 57

I know I should trust the Taylor test, but the cya reading makes no sense. I followed the instructions exactly. What could be causing such a high result? I have been using triclor tablets from Leslie's in a floater up until today, but now I took it out and plan on using bleach to chlorinate. Pool water is somewhat cloudy and has a slightly green tinge. Our area has been experiencing rain almost every day which is causing a lot of people around here issues with keeping their water clear. Another question: should I do anything special after it rains? Pool store told me to shock it with non chlorinating shock after the rain and that did clear up the water, but I want a TFP opinion.
    Thanks!
    Rebekah
    AG, vinyl liner, 18' intex pool with sand filter, 7646 gallons, opened in June 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Taylor k-2006 kit... Questioning results

To find out what the CYA really is, use the dilution test. Step 8 note 9

How it got that high: Cloudy water but most things seem balanced
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I just tried the cya test again, diluting the pool water with tap water, and the result came out 75, but I'm supposed to multiply that times 2 making the cya level 150.
    Rebekah
    AG, vinyl liner, 18' intex pool with sand filter, 7646 gallons, opened in June 2014

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JAB217RCB View Post
    I just tried the cya test again, diluting the pool water with tap water, and the result came out 75, but I'm supposed to multiply that times 2 making the cya level 150.
    Sounds right. My first CYA test had to be diluted a second time so I could read that I was somewhere between 220 & 240.

You're lucky. You can drain and replace a bunch of water. Your pool won't pop out of the ground if it's empty and you're not under mandatory water restrictions.

Has the pool store told you you have high TDS yet? They have a good scam going. Load you up with bags and buckets of products that don't help and then finally announce the water is saturated and needs replacement and oh, by the way, you need to buy this startup kit to startup the cycle again.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Now that you have a way of accurately testing your own pool (pool store tests are notoriously inaccurate) you need to stay away from pool stores. Begin by reading, re reading and studying Pool School. It's the button on the upper right of this page. It seems complex at first, but will all begin to make sense. It will save you a ton of money, time and frustration.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JAB217RCB View Post
    I know I should trust the Taylor test, but the cya reading makes no sense. I followed the instructions exactly. What could be causing such a high result? I have been using triclor tablets from Leslie's in a floater up until today, but now I took it out and plan on using bleach to chlorinate. Pool water is somewhat cloudy and has a slightly green tinge. Our area has been experiencing rain almost every day which is causing a lot of people around here issues with keeping their water clear. Another question: should I do anything special after it rains? Pool store told me to shock it with non chlorinating shock after the rain and that did clear up the water, but I want a TFP opinion.
    Thanks!
    a couple things here. first you answered your own question. you have been adding tablets to your pool. and probably powdered shock at some point too? that's all adding CYA to your pool. once you put it in the pool, it doenst get consumed, it just keeps adding up.

secondly, your pool store people don't have a clue. rain doesn't consume FC, it doesn't do anything except for a very minor dilution.

thirdly - stay away from the pool store!!
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

7. Back To Top    #7

If you want to know how CYA typically gets high, check out Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

You'll notice that everything except bleach and SWG adds something you don't want too much of, over the long term.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

I am currently draining the pool so I can add water to dilute the cya. Thank you for all the advice and I promise I will stay away from the pool store. It makes so much more sense now. I couldn't figure out why we kept getting algae even though the FC never dropped down to less than 4. My target FC is much higher because the cya is so high. As soon as I get the cya down, I will SLAM and keep my fingers crossed.
    Rebekah

9. Back To Top    #9

After I got my cya down to 65, I began the SLAM process. I added bleach to get the chlorine up to 24. After the first night, I only lost 1.5. During the day, I vacuumed, maintained the chlorine and backwashed. Last night, I had no drop in chlorine and the combined was between 0 and .5. The sample was almost clear, and cleared completely up with one drop in a 10mL sample. Here is the issue... the pool looks exactly the same. Green and cloudy. Shouldn't I start seeing results after 2 days?
    Rebekah

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Now what you need is a large dose of POP (Pool Owner Patience). Your pool didn't get like that in two days and it takes time for it to clear,
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Chief is right. Hang in there JAB. Don't give-in one inch on that SLAM FC level until you are "positive" you have met all 3 objectives:
    1. Water is clear
    2. You do not lose any more than 1ppm of FC overnight (that's the OCLT)
    3. CC (Combined Chlorine) is <.5

Sometimes this is the most difficult part for pool owners.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

Since you have a sand filter it will take longer to clear the pool than other types of filters. You might want to add DE to the filter to help speed up the progress once the algae is dead, Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter. You will need to watch the filter closely as it will clog up a lot faster with the DE.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Using women's knee high stocking as skimmer socks will help, but they must be rinsed or changed very regularly to prevent starving the pump. You can buy the cheap ones (queen size) at Walmart for $.50 a pair.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ