31 year old 21 x 41 above ground Doughboy needs replaced; suggestions brand/type

tablpa

Jun 15, 2012
Our old faithful 31 year old pool will need to be replaced after this season. We have had great success with this pool. Original liner lasted 16 years. When we replaced it the kids were older so we replaced with an expandable liner and added a deep end. Thru recent years we knew the bottom of the walls were getting quite rusted and were really just waiting for a pool failure. Fortunately this has not happened, BUT what a surprise we had when uncovering the pool this year to find an approximate 2.5 foot rip in the liner just about at water level. Guess as this liner is also 15 years old, we shouldn't have been too surprised. We have repaired it with repair tape and are hoping it will last for this summer (and so far has held fine). We are well aware this pool is way too old to even think about replacing the liner again, so the plan is to replace the entire pool for next year. We know Doughboy is a reputable brand and the product has certainly served us well, but we don't have any idea what else is out there as we haven't shopped for a pool in 31 years. So looking for advice on brand, type resin/steel, etc. Also taking into account what brand/type might be more easily placed into the existing excavation for the 21 x 41 with deep end we already have and hope not to have to alter that too much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would have went with a Doughboy if we had the budget to do it.
The sample liner we looked at was must heavier than the Swimline Perma 2500 I got with my Wilbar pool.
30 plus years is a fantastic return on investment.

Oh, I love this post! 31 years! :D

Doughboy with your deep end and overlap liner should work (if it works for budget!). There are a number of different price points (we are happy with the resin/autumn breeze).

I think your installer would be key here, if they are experienced with installing above grounds with a deep end. That might influence what brand of pool you go with (you would have to look at what's available locally, I guess? Unless you are going to do it yourself?).

Please keep us posted with this one, I'd love to see how it goes!

Thanks for your post. We installed our 21 x 41 Doughboy in 2011 and we are thrilled with it! So nice to know that Doughboys can last so long. We looked at other brands, but we decided that the Doughboy pools would offer us the most assurance of solid construction and a long life. Other brands were much cheaper, but in the end, we are glad we went with a Doughboy. Your pool age certainly reassures us. One more thing about Doughboy pools -- we didn't find any other brands that could go deeper than 6 feet. Our pool, like yours, has a 7 foot deep end. Best of luck in your pool replacement!
Ruth

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.