Jun 7, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,

I've been reading & lurking for a few years now, since originally renting a home with a pool ~3 years ago and now having owned a home with a pool for just over 2 years...

I've spent a decent amount of money on our backyard thus far, but almost exclusively outside of the pool -- removed ~20 tons of "decorative rock", added ~2,000 sqft. of artificial turf, added fencing around the pool equipment, added Pentair VS pump, EasyTouch automation, travertine patio, outdoor TV, and most recently a new Pentair heater. Now it's time for phase 2!! :)

Phase 2 called for redoing our cool deck, fixing our substantially stained plaster, covering our poorly-placed in-floor system's components, and -- most importantly -- adding either: A) a set of Pentair's MagicStream Laminars, or B) adding a waterfall & a slide.

Unfortunately, just the masonry for option B came in at around $13k, which was just too much given the spends on the plaster (going with Pebble Sheen) and the Cool Decking's complete redo.

So, on to option A...

Our designs & 3D models called for 4 to 6 Laminars (see the attached rough 3d mockup), mounted just behind the coping on a side that doesn't have any additional decking. And this is where we hit roadblocks -- and, even after exhaustive research (searching on this forum at length, and elsewhere on the web), is why I'm here posting today...

Firstly, the Pentair MagicStream Laminars are apparently massive, so would need to be either on a raised platform or buried pretty deep. That's not great, but is doable if needed; we'd probably opt for a semi-raised platform + having them buried around 12" deep as well, and then masked with rock that comprised either a waterfall/sheer descent feature, or a "fire bowl" feature.

The real issue is that the installation instructions require that the Laminar's have a 1.5" drain pipe fitted to them. There's really not much information to be found beyond that, as in, how much water can I expect to need to drain, what are appropriate place(s) for this water be drained to, etc...

My lot is pretty much flat, and there is no main drain/sewer pipe available in the backyard without running one myself from scratch which is pretty much out of the question...

What options do I have, if any? How much water can I expect to need to drain off? One option I can think of would be to mount them on the far back wall, a few feet behind what's shown in the mockup, and then drain them back directly into the pool via a new opening just above the waterline. I'm not a huge fan of how that would look, but it seems like it might be the only workable option unless a "french drain" would work (i.e. there won't be that much water for the drain to handle).

Apologies in advance for the long-winded post -- but I'm at my wit's end here trying to figure out a workable solution to achieve our goals with this retrofit...

Any & all thoughts, guidance, suggestions are appreciated!

PS --> Here's some links to info I've been able to find that is at least semi-related to the topic at hand:
Question about laminars
Magic stream Laminars | poolfyi
Jandy Laminar Deck Jets Rough Install - YouTube

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-11 at 10.57.04 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-06-11 at 10.57.04 AM.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 79
There normally won't be much water to have to drain off. There will be a small amount when the flow starts and stops but that's less than a cup. However, if the slot gets blocked for some reason (big honking foot) then there could be lots of water in the canister to have to drain off. A French drain should work well because anything blocking the outflow would be intermittent.

Thank you, is exactly the info I was hoping to get (and the details like this are notably absent from the manual & there's very little to be found on the topic online).

My only hesitation is rain -- though it's rare, there are times we get rain here in southern NV.

What are the odds that rain / water in the Laminar's, when a french drain is a bit overwhelmed, will cause them to fail prematurely?

Any idea if this is only likely to happen if I try to *use them* when they're "flooded", or would I risk damage just having them be "flooded" temporarily, even if not used until they dried out?

Thank you immensely!!

Rain shouldn't be a problem, and water won't hurt the laminars other than to disrupt the flow. A decent french drain will handle a lot of rain unless it's in the lowest place of the surrounding area and has to handle all the run off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.