The best way to use a Pool heat pump .....:swim:

Jun 14, 2009
Hello all,

I have been trying to figure out how to best use my electric heat pump, I got screwed by the local pool store so I am still waiting for my solar cover and reel. So this question is more about the best and most economical way to use a heat pump, so for the last two weeks I tried the following ways:

Week 1 - Got the pool to desired temperature for weekend swimming, the pump was on all weekend and was turned off Sunday night and left off until following weekend. The heat pump was turned on Thursday morning and was at the desired temperature by Saturday afternoon. So the heat pump was running day and night from Thursday morning until Sunday night.

Week 2 - Every morning during the weekdays when I turned on the pump/filter, I also turned the heat pump on. So basically this week every time I ran the pump/filter which is about 6 hours a day the heat pump ran with it.

So my questions is a heat pump like your AC unit where it is cheaper to just keep on and let it just maintain the desired temperature or just turn it on two days before use and let it run ?

So just some additional information, the desired temp is 85 degrees, I currently am paying 0.20 per Kwh, my heat pump is a 140,000 BTU unit and has a C.O.P of 6.

I know that the temperature for my area (Suffolk, Long Island) was lower during week 1 which would in turn would cause the heat pump to run longer to achieve 85 degrees but for the purpose of this question lets just say that the heat pump is working at a constant BTU output of 90,000.

Thanks for all you guys help, you have helped me make this the most enjoyable pool season we have every had.

Thanks suzook ....

That is very useful information, I'm still waiting on the cover and reel. The pool store really messed me up, after waiting 2 weeks they told me the cover and reel I bought where discontinued.

I will follow your method, I don't like that I have to wait 2 days for my pool to get to the right temperature.

I am going to try and do the math see if I can put some numbers behind it.

I keep mine at 86 from may to oct. never shut it off , it cycles when needed.I use the solar cover religiously when not swimming(reel really helps).The bump in my elec bill averages out to less than 100 /month including elec used by the filter pump.The filter runs 8 hrs a day hp comes on when needed.

One thing to keep in mind about heat pumps is that they are most efficient when there is minimal temperature difference between the pool and air temperature. So you will usually get the most of your heatpump when running during the heat of the day, of course if you have tiered electric rates that just adds a whole new can of worms to the equation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.