Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The best way to use a Pool heat pump .....:swim:

1. Back To Top    #1

The best way to use a Pool heat pump .....:swim:

Hello all,

I have been trying to figure out how to best use my electric heat pump, I got screwed by the local pool store so I am still waiting for my solar cover and reel. So this question is more about the best and most economical way to use a heat pump, so for the last two weeks I tried the following ways:

Week 1 - Got the pool to desired temperature for weekend swimming, the pump was on all weekend and was turned off Sunday night and left off until following weekend. The heat pump was turned on Thursday morning and was at the desired temperature by Saturday afternoon. So the heat pump was running day and night from Thursday morning until Sunday night.

Week 2 - Every morning during the weekdays when I turned on the pump/filter, I also turned the heat pump on. So basically this week every time I ran the pump/filter which is about 6 hours a day the heat pump ran with it.

So my questions is a heat pump like your AC unit where it is cheaper to just keep on and let it just maintain the desired temperature or just turn it on two days before use and let it run ?

So just some additional information, the desired temp is 85 degrees, I currently am paying 0.20 per Kwh, my heat pump is a 140,000 BTU unit and has a C.O.P of 6.

I know that the temperature for my area (Suffolk, Long Island) was lower during week 1 which would in turn would cause the heat pump to run longer to achieve 85 degrees but for the purpose of this question lets just say that the heat pump is working at a constant BTU output of 90,000.

Thanks for all you guys help, you have helped me make this the most enjoyable pool season we have every had.
    Fatcat07
    In ground pool
    Vinyl Liner
    18 X 36 Pool size
    30,000 Gallons
    Hayward Filter DE2420 - 24 sq ft (I think)
    Hayward pump - Not sure of the model number
    Suffolk, long Island

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The best way to use a Pool heat pump .....:swim:

I'm in Suffolk too. I usually bump the heater down to 77 during the week, then bump it up Friday. The solar cover will help BIG TIME!. Last 2 weeks the HP didn't run at all during the week, pool only dropped to 78 from a high of 84.
    14000 gallon 16x32 roman in ground vinyl, Hayward 140k heat pump, swg, de filter 1 1\2 HP v.s. pump. Built in June 2014. Tf100 test kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks suzook ....

That is very useful information, I'm still waiting on the cover and reel. The pool store really messed me up, after waiting 2 weeks they told me the cover and reel I bought where discontinued.

I will follow your method, I don't like that I have to wait 2 days for my pool to get to the right temperature.

I am going to try and do the math see if I can put some numbers behind it.
    Fatcat07
    In ground pool
    Vinyl Liner
    18 X 36 Pool size
    30,000 Gallons
    Hayward Filter DE2420 - 24 sq ft (I think)
    Hayward pump - Not sure of the model number
    Suffolk, long Island

4. Back To Top    #4

I keep mine at 86 from may to oct. never shut it off , it cycles when needed.I use the solar cover religiously when not swimming(reel really helps).The bump in my elec bill averages out to less than 100 /month including elec used by the filter pump.The filter runs 8 hrs a day hp comes on when needed.
    16x32 vinyl ig with foxguard steel walls,gli liner ,hayward de filter,hayward heatpro heat pump,hayward colorlogic 4.0 led.pentair circular weir skimmers.hayward sharkvac xl robot,gli mesh cover.polk atrium speakers,sonos music system.erie pa.

5. Back To Top    #5

The AC thing doesn't make any sense.

The warmer the water the higher the heatloss. So if you leave it off during the week the pool temp will go down and not experience as much total heatloss.
    Approx 15,000 gallon gunite pool, fiberglass finish. Hayward SP2302VSP, compools solar controller, 6 4x10 "Sealed Air" brand solar panels, Clean and Clear 520 cartridge filter

6. Back To Top    #6

One thing to keep in mind about heat pumps is that they are most efficient when there is minimal temperature difference between the pool and air temperature. So you will usually get the most of your heatpump when running during the heat of the day, of course if you have tiered electric rates that just adds a whole new can of worms to the equation.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~