Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Transitioning from SWG to chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Transitioning from SWG to chlorine

This is our 7th summer in our pool and our salt cell is finally biting the dust. I don't really want to shell out the money for a new one right now, going to give it a try just using tablets and liquid chlorine this summer. Since I opened the pool as a SWG, I want to make sure I'm doing okay with the chemicals. Here are my test results from this morning:

FC: 6
    pH: 7.3
    Alk: 100
    CH: 220
    CYA 70

The water temp is around 78. The water looks really great. On my little Taylor chart thingy, it says the saturation index is -.3. This is new, it's usually closer to 0 or .2.

Anything I should adjust?

Thanks!
    26,000 gal In ground pool. Black pebble tech finish, lots of natural rock on pool deck w/waterfall. SWG. 2 speed Jandy pump, 4 cartridge filter. Built in 2009.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Transitioning from SWG to chlorine

With a CYA that high, you can not afford to use any trichlor tablets or dichlor powder and must stick to bleach.

There is really nothing special you need to do to start using bleach instead of the SWG. Just maintain the higher appropriate FC level for your CYA based on the non-SWG chart: FC/CYA Chart

Your CSI is a little low (although still in range) because your CH and pH are on the low side. Just let the pH come up a little bit.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You're OK. Do NOT use tabs. Your CYA is a little too high for a manually chlorinated pool and the Tabs will makew it worse. You should use liquid chlorine(or bleach) exclusively.

If you keep your parameters within the suggested guidelines here on TFP (Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry), you do not have to calculate CSI.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

So I'm pretty much tied to testing my chemicals daily then? Or close to it at least, I guess. Any advice on routine to keep from getting algae?

Once my CYA gets down lower into a more acceptable range, is the best way to go to tabs?
    26,000 gal In ground pool. Black pebble tech finish, lots of natural rock on pool deck w/waterfall. SWG. 2 speed Jandy pump, 4 cartridge filter. Built in 2009.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you will keep your FC within ranges of teh FC/CYA chart, you will not get algae.
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Its never best to go with tabs as your main source of FC. If you dont use the SWG, then you will have to daily test and add liquid chlorine.

For every 10ppm of FC Trichlor tabs add, they also add 6ppm of CYA. the FC depletes realatively quickly. The CYA does not deplete. So, over time the CYA climbs and climbs and climbs, until eventually, the FC cannot keep up. Eventually, you will have to drain the pool to get the CYA down. And since you're in California... .you will be in bad shape.....
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!