Spill over spa is cloudy after I vacuum

Jun 11, 2015
Wellington, FL
I have been reading the forums for over a year, but this is my first ever post. I have been using the TFP method for awhile, but I always seem to be one step behind my pool...probably because I am a too lazy to test every single day, but that's another post.

I SLAMed my pool a couple of days ago, before leaving town for 4 days. This morning there was a dusting of algae on the floor and walls (I am assuming dead).

Using TF-100 kit:
FC: 6ppm
CC: 0ppm
pH: 7.6
CYA: 40-50 (depending on how you read the black dot)

I vacuumed the pool floor, and as I did the spill over spa turned green and cloudy--it has a return from the main pump.
Here is my question: should my freshly rinsed cartridge (9 psi, same as when it was brand new 13 months ago) be able to filter out all of the algae and dust from the bottom of the pool without making my water cloudy?

Welcome to the forum. :wave: You can NEVER filter live algae from a pool....it grows back faster than you can remove it.

I have been using the TFP method for awhile, but I always seem to be one step behind my pool...probably because I am a too lazy to test every single day, but that's another post.
Actually, that's not another story.....it's the root of your issue. THE TFPC method involves precision testing on a timely basis so you don't get behind your pool and never get algae to begin with.

Sure, it does take a little discipline but it's a whole lot less work to manage your pool correctly that going back and trying to fix what was neglected.

You have a great kit and you obviously know how to use it. We'll all help you keep your pool crystal clear if you are so inclined.

It seems like you met 2 of the 3 criteria for stopping the SLAM....

1. Your pool water is sparkling and there is no visible algae
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

The "visible algae" clause (dead or alive) tripped you up so you were not quite finished.

I suggest you simply keep your FC elevated (say around 8 ppm) for a few more days, vacuum all that junk up, and run your pump/filter 24/7 to continue.

I think your pool will sparkle and you will not have to start another SLAM.

Eventually, all of the gunk will filter out. Be sure to brush daily and skim out what you can before getting through to your filter. If you are going to be home, you can try adding skimmer socks (or knee high panty hose) to your skimmer baskets. Check the skimmer socks every hour and rinse them off. It takes perseverance, but it will eventually all filter out.
I decided to go ahead an redo the SLAM with a little more attention to detail.
It looks better, but I still have my original question: should a filter be able to get all the green and particles out?

should a filter be able to get all the green and particles out?
Yes, it will. But that word "green" is an issue. If you have "green" anything in your pool, it is surely live algae and a filter can NEVER filter live algae.....you must kill it with chlorine first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.