Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: OK to restrict flow through single-speed feature pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

OK to restrict flow through single-speed feature pump?

I have a 1 hp Whisperflo pump for my tanning ledge bubblers and rock wall waterfalls. This pump and plumbing is completely separate from the main pump and filter.

The bubblers and waterfalls have individual manual valves to adjust flow. I want to turn down the bubblers so they don't spray up as much but when I do that too much flow is diverted to the waterfalls. Is there a problem with having all valves (bubblers and waterfalls) closed halfway. Does that put too much strain on the pump if the total flow is restricted?

Unfortunately, the pump is single speed so I can't adjust the RPM to dial back the GPM.
    My Pool Build
    15k gal IG freeform w/ attached spa, Wet Edge Luna Quartz Bermuda, 3.5' to 5.5' depth, Intelliflo VS pump, Cartridge filter, MasterTemp heater
    1 hp Whisperflo for ledge bubblers/weeping rock wall, Polaris 280, EasyTouch 8 Automation, Intellibrite 5G color LED's, TF-100 w/ Speedstir, Stenner Peristaltic Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: OK to restrict flow through single-speed feature pump?

It will not hurt your pump at all. Your psi will go up so note your new psi as soon as you make the change and remember it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

As long as some water is moving, you will not hurt the pump or motor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! I was concerned since it seems like the pump gets louder the more I close off the valves. I found this thread also that was related to my question. It seems an added benefit is less power consumption with more restriction (less flow).

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...p-on-waterfall
    My Pool Build
    15k gal IG freeform w/ attached spa, Wet Edge Luna Quartz Bermuda, 3.5' to 5.5' depth, Intelliflo VS pump, Cartridge filter, MasterTemp heater
    1 hp Whisperflo for ledge bubblers/weeping rock wall, Polaris 280, EasyTouch 8 Automation, Intellibrite 5G color LED's, TF-100 w/ Speedstir, Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Yup, I almost mentioned that as well
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!