Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My 20 year old Pool Died - Buying a new one

1. Back To Top    #1

My 20 year old Pool Died - Buying a new one

Hello All,

My pool has rusted out (2 post and bottom rail) and collapsed but at 20 years old it didn't owe us anything. I am looking at buying a new Sharkline Matrix from BlakeJ at PoolSupplyWorld.com. I also want to switch to Salt Water and need recommendations as to the SWG to use. I am looking at either the Intex Krystal Klear or the Saltron Retro when I order the pool. I know that these are both on the low end of available options but feel they will work as starter units. With buying the pool I want to start with a cheaper SWG. Reviews are mixed on both of these units but I am willing to try either one. would like to hear your opinions.

DrC
    24'x54" Sharkline Matrix by Wilbar International, 15,200 gallons (2015)
    Jacuzzi 75 sq ft Cartridge Filter 1 hp two speed pump
    Solar Heat with Goldline GL-235 Controller
    Intex Krystal Clear Model 28669 SWG
    TF100, SampleSizer, and Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My 20 year old Pool Died - Buying a new one

I know nothing about SWGs, but would love to see pics of the new pool pool and installation when you do it. Will you be installing yourself or having someone do it for you?
    28 ft round ABG with ~6ft deep end, approx. 20,000 gal, 2 spd 2 HP pump, sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I will tell you that the Intex will need to run for at least 8 hours on your pool if it is the same gallonage as the one in your sig (12000g).
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies.

Pigeon, we will be doing the install ourselves as we did with the original. We have got the old pool down and starting to clear the ground for the bottom rail as the weather cooperates. We previously had a sand cove and will be switching to foam on the new pool so a little sand work to do. Will need to set some new patio blocks as the Matrix has 18 uprights vs the 16 of the old pool. We are going to leave the old ones in to use as leveling points for the new blocks.

Scuba Steve, going from 48" walls to 54" walls I am figuring an approximate 3,000 gallon difference. Having to run the Intex for 8 to 12 hours would be no problem. If I go that way I will run the pump on low speed for 12 hours overnight using an electronic timer to turn the pump on/off and the Intex timer to control the SWG 15 minutes maximum turning it on after the pump starts and before it turns off. Reading up on the Saltron Retro it may be a better way as it does not require any connection to the pool pump. Decisions, Decisions.
    24'x54" Sharkline Matrix by Wilbar International, 15,200 gallons (2015)
    Jacuzzi 75 sq ft Cartridge Filter 1 hp two speed pump
    Solar Heat with Goldline GL-235 Controller
    Intex Krystal Clear Model 28669 SWG
    TF100, SampleSizer, and Speed Stir