Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Conflicting CYA results and chlorine loss

1. Back To Top    #1

Conflicting CYA results and chlorine loss

I've been trying to bring my CYA down from 100 early last summer. I had a bottle of CYA reagent from the fall that I tested with, it was showing CYA at ~50 after I did a partial drain and refill and LOTS of rain. I used this number to SLAM about 3 weeks ago. I complete the SLAM, passed the over-night with .5 ppm loss 2 nights in a row. Chlorine levels came down rapidly during the day from the SLAM. Bought a new Taylor K-2006 since mine was 2 years old and tested CYA with that...can still see the black dot at the 30 mark. Tested again with the older bottle, still showing between 40-50. Waited a couple weeks and retested with the newer bottles and still less than 30. I'm losing 3-4 ppm chlorine easy during the day, adding at least a gallon of bleach every night. I'm hesitant to add CYA after working to lower it and not sure what test result I should believe. Water is crystal clear and I lost 1 ppm overnight last night but I tested 1.5 hrs after the sun came up. The pool gets full sun pretty much all day. Wondering if I should I add some stabilizer at this point?

FC 6
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    TA 90
    CH 180
    CYA 50 or 30??
    23K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP Hayward pump, Hayward sand Filter, Polaris booster pump and cleaner, in-line chlorinator (not in use), 2011 build, Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Conflicting CYA results and chlorine loss

What's the R number on both bottles of reagent?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The one that is testing ~30 says 02037 EXP 04/17, the "older" one testing ~50 just has 2026A
    23K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP Hayward pump, Hayward sand Filter, Polaris booster pump and cleaner, in-line chlorinator (not in use), 2011 build, Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry, put the lot #s. They are both R-0013

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, I would go with 30 in this case, and adjust Cya accordingly. Take it to 40-45 for a start.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you! I'll give it a try.