Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Only cylinder

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine Only cylinder

I have been using my testing kit now for three seasons. I was slamming the pool last month and testing with new chemicals purchased mid season last year.

While testing with the DPD powder, my chlorine only cylinder and the Taylor Speed stir, I noticed that there is a black deposit on the cylinder and the magnet of the speed stir that will not come off. I wash and dry them both after each test.

I just ordered new DPD powder, R-00871 and a new cylinder, but I was curious if anyone had the same experience with the black residue? Bad chemicals or what??

Thanks.
    25K GALLON IG VINYL
    LASER SAND JACUZZI FILTER #250L 66GPM JACUZZI 1.0 HP PUMP
    UNDER WATER LIGHT
    10 YEARS OLD, LINER 2 YRS OLD

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine Only cylinder

Hi Elaine, have never seen any reference to the black residue, but i found in the extended test kit directions how to clean the cylinder:
    Over time, it is common for a cloudy residue to build up on sample tubes used for FAS-DPD chlorine testing. The residue can be removed by filling the sample tube with bleach, letting it sit for several minutes, rinsing, and then wiping throughly with a paper towel.
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

I have been having the same problem with my cylinder & powder from last year! I read through another thread that recommended filling the cylinder with bleach, let it soak for a few minutes, then rinse with water & dry with a paper towel. It worked, but the staining (mine looks really dark purple/black & so is my powder) came right back. I'm thinking I need new powder & cylinder too. I'm curious what others say too.
    Joanne 18' X 36' rectangular 26,700 gal. IG, vinyl, sand filter (300 lbs of sand) replaced last season, Hayward 1 hp pump & Hayward booster pump 3/4 hp, SWG: AquaRite Electronic Chlorine generator with TurboCell CLX-5 (replace 2 yrs. ago), approx. 7 yrs old, Polaris pool cleaner (old, on it's last leg! make that dead!!) TF-100 Test kit w/XL, Pool School!! And LOTS of it!!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have had my kit for only a couple weeks and I already have the black stain...???
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

5. Back To Top    #5

I had this recently, got new powder with no issues. A couple of drops of MA in the cylinder with water cleaned it right up.
    Built 1980, 19' x 30' almost rectangular, screened 15,000 gal, plaster, Hayward DE 3620 filter (currently using cellulose), Emerson 1081 1HP pump, AquaCal Heatwave SuperQuiet SQ110R heater, Zodiac T5 Cleaner, Taylor K-2006 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

One tip might be to put a few packets of silica gel in your test kit box. My powder went really black and clumpy when I left my box outside for a few days in the FL humidity.
    Built 1980, 19' x 30' almost rectangular, screened 15,000 gal, plaster, Hayward DE 3620 filter (currently using cellulose), Emerson 1081 1HP pump, AquaCal Heatwave SuperQuiet SQ110R heater, Zodiac T5 Cleaner, Taylor K-2006 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Rinsing after each test seems to prevent any buildup. I just use some of the pool water from the squirt bottle I use to collect my sample.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Always rinse your glassware. Standard OP's for lab testing. In this case it will help, but not eliminate this.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by mikech View Post
    One tip might be to put a few packets of silica gel in your test kit box. My powder went really black and clumpy when I left my box outside for a few days in the FL humidity.
    My kit is always inside in A/C in a drawer....????

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I think the thing to do is get new stuff! I'll post gain when I get my chemicals and new cylinder.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhkh View Post
    I have been having the same problem with my cylinder & powder from last year! I read through another thread that recommended filling the cylinder with bleach, let it soak for a few minutes, then rinse with water & dry with a paper towel. It worked, but the staining (mine looks really dark purple/black & so is my powder) came right back. I'm thinking I need new powder & cylinder too. I'm curious what others say too.
    - - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone for your feed back! I'll post again when I get my new stuff and see if there is any difference.
    25K GALLON IG VINYL
    LASER SAND JACUZZI FILTER #250L 66GPM JACUZZI 1.0 HP PUMP
    UNDER WATER LIGHT
    10 YEARS OLD, LINER 2 YRS OLD

10. Back To Top    #10

I seriously doubt there is any issue with this reagent. The darkening just happens. Better if you rinse and clean well after testing, but it's not a big deal.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

Nope. When my powder went 'bad', if I added and swirled I would end up with very 'sticky' black/purple spots on the cylinder. Even pool water or bleach based cleaners wouldn't touch them. MA did the trick though! Ok, I'll rephrase bad as the FC test still worked as expected, just a pain to get rid of the spots each time.

12. Back To Top    #12

I still would like to know how I am having this issue?

Kit is only 2 weeks old. I rinse every time repeatedly. Then I turn the tube upside down to finish drying and leave it that way until next test.

My powder is not black btw.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Considering how fast things dry where I live, drying the test cylinder shouldn't be a problem. When I store my kit I always inserted the container of powder in the top of the test cylinder. The last time I did that, I guess I didn't rinse it well and wait for it to be dry. When I got it out it had a very dark cloudy area on it, where the water had dried. With just a bit of rinsing and rubbing with a paper towel it came off though. I'm guessing that is what you are seeing.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit