Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TFPC and FROGS!

1. Back To Top    #1

TFPC and FROGS!

Sorry, no pictures (yet) but for the last few mornings (about 3 days) I have had a little visitor enjoying my pool. Let's call him "Kermit".

I thought my pool water was rather inhospitable to various forms of terrestrial life (FC ~6ppm, borates 50ppm) but I guess frogs are made of tougher stuff. I'm not sure which is worse, a live frog or a dead one, but he's been alive each morning I fished him out of the water. I finally threw him over the wall at the far end of my property so I'm hoping he leaves and finds another pool to inhabit....preferable one that is not practicing TFPC so that person can find this site and become a convert

Any thoughts on frogs, chlorine demand and water sanitation?
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: TFPC and FROGS!

I am willing to bet a person puts more demand on the chlorine in 1 min than a frog will over an eight hour period
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

You could get one of these and he probably be gone before you get there, unless he uses it like a dive pool

Amazon.com : Critter Skimmer 10-Inch Square Pool Skimmer Cover, White : Swimming Pool Skimmers : Patio, Lawn Garden
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    You could get one of these and he probably be gone before you get there, unless he uses it like a dive pool

Amazon.com : Critter Skimmer 10-Inch Square Pool Skimmer Cover, White : Swimming Pool Skimmers : Patio, Lawn Garden
    Hahahahahahahaha!!!

Ok, my wife will definitely think I've gone insane with pool care if I start buying special rescue platforms for the wildlife

I have to admit though, that is awesome!!

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

This little guy scared the life out of me the other night at about 1am when I went out to check the pool before bed. But at least he posed for a picture.

Based on another TFPC post, I just ordered 2 of these!

The FrogLog Swimming Pool Escape Ramp Device| Rescue Small Animals from Drowning

Ridiculous -- but not as ridiculous as me & my partner each with leaf rake & skimming thing on a pole chasing this frog (or another one like him) around our pool for 10 minutes before work the other morning (unsuccessfully -- and he got out anyway - we threw a floaty thing in for him to climb onto).
    ~16'x40', 25k gallons IG, plaster, Purex Triton 4000 DE filter, Purex Triton Whisperflo WFE-3C 3/4 HP pump. Old pool - at least 30 years. Small spa area that overflows into main pool. Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend cleaner. Propane Heater. Philadelphia suburbs.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFPC and FROGS!

Yeah! Frogs in water are FAST!! Took me a good 2 mins of chasing mine down with the leaf rake.

Tarantulas on the other hand are fairly slow, bad swimmers and do not react well to water with borates in it. Evidenced by this photo -

Fuzzy had no chance....hope his last meal was tasty.

Matt

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by ajbeets View Post
    This little guy scared the life out of me the other night at about 1am when I went out to check the pool before bed. But at least he posed for a picture.

Based on another TFPC post, I just ordered 2 of these!

The FrogLog Swimming Pool Escape Ramp Device| Rescue Small Animals from Drowning

Ridiculous -- but not as ridiculous as me & my partner each with leaf rake & skimming thing on a pole chasing this frog (or another one like him) around our pool for 10 minutes before work the other morning (unsuccessfully -- and he got out anyway - we threw a floaty thing in for him to climb onto).
    Well, if my experience is any example, just return those now. All they did in my pool was collect stuff flowing around the pool headed for the skimmer.

The frogs visit my pool every night, leave me a deposit on the bottom of the deep end, do the backstroke for a while and leave. I've never figured out how they get out of my pool, bu I can only guess they move to the top step (wedding cake steps) and hop out from the shallow water there. I have not been able to stop them.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

I have several frogs in my pool every day now ever since Texas got pounded with rain. Many of those little guys I pull out of the skimmer if I can in the early morning, some hanging on for dear life, some others ... just too late. Wolf spiders have been a huge issue until about a month ago when I decided to put some Ortho granules around the perimeter of my pool. Lastly, just about every morning I get a new scorpion in the pool. Not the greatest swimmers those guys.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

How about this?
    Amazon.com : Critter Skimmer 9-Inch Round Pool Skimmer Cover, White : Swimming Pool Skimmers : Patio, Lawn Garden

I haven't used one, just seen them when looking for options.
    TF-100 Test Kit
    22,000 gallon, 20x40 kidney-shape IG plaster pool built in 1986
    Nautilus NS-36 DE filter, Hayward Self Prime Super Pump 1HP
    Polaris Automatic Pool Cleaner, PB4-60 3/4 HP pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Just how big was your Kermit? Mine was 6 inches from nose to bum!!!!! With his legs out he was twice as long!

It took some doing to help him out and back into the pond.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Just how big was your Kermit? Mine was 6 inches from nose to bum!!!!! With his legs out he was twice as long!

It took some doing to help him out and back into the pond.

Kim
    Hmmmm....sounds like a shotgun might be necessary for one that large. My little guy was probably 3" max

Matt

12. Back To Top    #12

We save the shotgun for the gators that try to move into the pond! In 14 years we have had two visit. They were small ones but small ones grow so.............anyone like gator tail?? (They would not remove them because they were too small) We tried to get them to move out but they would not We have cats so could not take the chance of anything happening to them.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    We save the shotgun for the gators that try to move into the pond! In 14 years we have had two visit. They were small ones but small ones grow so.............anyone like gator tail?? (They would not remove them because they were too small) We tried to get them to move out but they would not We have cats so could not take the chance of anything happening to them.

Kim
    We've got this interesting meat store nearby that sells all kinds of "interesting" meats. Lots of snake, elk, all sorts of game. I'll have to see if they have any selections of gator....do you prefer gas grille or smoker for the gator tail?

Matt

14. Back To Top    #14

yummmmmmmmm smoker please! I also have enjoyed frog legs in the past! Got to love living in the South where someone can and will cook anything!

Kim

15. Back To Top    #15

Well, the wife would never go for it but I'll try anything one....

Matt

16. Back To Top    #16

We had a huge frog last year. He came out every night around 9 pm whether we were in the pool or not.

We did buy a frog log and put it in every night. He used it and we loved having him. Sadly, this year he has not returned.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

17. Back To Top    #17

Gators, scorpions & tarantulas? You guys are tough.
    ~16'x40', 25k gallons IG, plaster, Purex Triton 4000 DE filter, Purex Triton Whisperflo WFE-3C 3/4 HP pump. Old pool - at least 30 years. Small spa area that overflows into main pool. Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend cleaner. Propane Heater. Philadelphia suburbs.

18. Back To Top    #18

And I thought the occasional mole or mouse was bad in my skimmer. You guys can keep the frogs and especially the tarantulas!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

19. Back To Top    #19

I get frogs in my skimmer all the time but, rarely do I find a live one, they don't last long in my SW pool. I just toss the dead ones into the yard as crow and hawk feed. The live ones get a gentle walk to the woods.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

We get this guy once and a while. Don't see him very often but hear him in the morning bushes. He always leaves a fresh "present" on the decking so you know he's been around.

Ryan
    41' x 16' x 5' IG, 25 000 gallon, cement, tile w/epoxy grout. Overflow/negative edge style. Pentair 4048 DE, Hayward 2 hp Single Speed, Pentair 320 Auto Chlorinator, 1.5 hp Blower f/Jacuzzi, TF-100, city/well (in pool) water option. Located in Panama.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast