Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A couple of plumbing questions

1. Back To Top    #1

A couple of plumbing questions

I have read on here that you want all of the pipes run separately. I assume that this is so it is easier to fix if you have a leak down the road. The PB told me that the 2 main drains connect together and go back to the pad but everything else is separate.

1) Should I insist that each main drain be plumbed separately?
    2) I am installing a fair amount of concrete decking and ALL of the plumbing is laid out to run under the decking. Should I change the path to go around the decking?
    3) See anything I should ask about or change in the contract?

Trying to think of EVERYTHING in advance is a job in and of itself....

My Pool Build Thread: 21 x 40 Freeform Gunite Pool, 12" Tanning Ledge, 3.5 shallow graduating to 4.5, 8.5 deep end, 4' Waterfall which doubles as a diving ledge with 6' x 4' Grotto underneath, 670 sq. ft., 106 Linear ft., Rock Salted Concrete Deck, Pentair 520 Filter, Intelli flow 3 HP VS pump, (4) Color LED lights, Intelli-Chlor SWG, Hot Springs Vanguard Hot Tub with ACE and BT Sound System, ODK, TF100

2. Back To Top    #2
    Western Chicago Area, IL

Re: A couple of plumbing questions

I am a novice with plumbing, but FWIW I think local code requires the dual main drains (MD) and that they be piped together. I think the intent is that, say a person were to get "sucked" into one main drain then water would still flow through the other MD and the person could swim away. Although unlikely, if MD's were piped separately, a person, clothing, etc. could get stuck.

Again, that is my assumption from similar posts but somebody will be around to confirm soon. Congrats on the pool...soon.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

What he said ^^^

The two drains have to be plumbed together and far enough apart that a kid can't get held down by the suction. Do insist he plumb the line to the pad with a valve and not through the skimmer.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

If these are the main drains that are several feet apart in the deep end, I am pretty sure you have to have them on one line and split like that for safety reasons. This is so a person can't get stuck on one drain. If you completely cover one, it will just start pulling from the other one.
    My Pool Build
    15k gal IG freeform w/ attached spa, Wet Edge Luna Quartz Bermuda, 3.5' to 5.5' depth, Intelliflo VS pump, Cartridge filter, MasterTemp heater
    1 hp Whisperflo for ledge bubblers/weeping rock wall, Polaris 280, EasyTouch 8 Automation, Intellibrite 5G color LED's, TF-100 w/ Speedstir, Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Sugar Land , TX

2) I am installing a fair amount of concrete decking and ALL of the plumbing is laid out to run under the decking. Should I change the path to go around the decking?

Yes if there is room that would make life alot easier in case of plumbing repair down the road. We actually installed paver deck for that very reason.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8