Unexplainable Filter Pressure Spike

May 10, 2015
WASHINGTON
I’ve never owned a pool until now. We renovated the pool body last year (fall 2014); tested and ran the equipment; and then winterized everything. Since opening this year, we’ve had trouble with the filtration.

First, the pump kept losing prime, so we replaced the check valve and hair basket, which resolved the issue. Now, the filter pressure spikes to over 30 psi within a few hours of operation. Backwashing or even a complete filter cleaning drops the pressure, but then it creeps back up. Typically it runs between 15 and 22 psi. We get a lot of leaves, but I manually skim and clean the baskets daily. The water is currently cloudy, but when operating properly, it's crystal clear.

Aside from the new parts mentioned, we replaced the timer, and added Polaris robot. Everything else is original.

I’ve talked to my pool guys about replacing the DE Nautilus NS-36 filter to a Hayward C4030 cartridge system. But I’m wondering if that will address the problem. Any thoughts on what else might be causing this?

Note that the filter pressure goes up independent of the Polaris.

This is an in-ground, 35,000 gallon pool and spa set up.

Many thanks for any and all advice.

There is something in your water. Your filter is doing its job so the pressure is going up.

If you want to take control of your pool you really need to get your own test kit. It will save you SO much money and time in the long run. Look in my siggy for the two test kits we use and love. The TF-100 is the best bang for the buck.

Once you get your test kit let us know and we can walk you through the tests.

Kim (yeah I know the pool store will test your water for free BUT is it really free if they have you buying all kinds of stuff that may not work?)

When you clean the filter by taking it out, does there appear to be alot of debris on the filter? Is there a visible source of the pressure rise?

I would suggest getting a Recommended Test Kits and posting test results. When you have a filter pressure rise, your filter is doing its job, removing particulates, which cartridge filters are particularly good at (pun intended ;)) You likely have a pool water chemistry issue, leading to more particles in the pool, leading to a dirty filter.

Also... Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Welcome :wave:

I wouldn't do even consider replacing that filter. Sounds like it's working great!

It's filtering out the cloudiness and clogging up, just the way it's designed. That cloudiness is dead bleached algae carcasses. The problem is that algae reproduces extremely fast, so even if you kill and filter out half, in a few hours, new algae has grown to replace it. You need to stop the endless cycle by killing the algae off faster than it can reproduce until you've killed it all.

Take the money you would waste on a cartridge filter and invest it in a TF100 with the XL option and a whole bunch of bleach. You'll have a few hundred left over to spend on patio furniture, pool toys, beer, and little umbrellas for your foo-foo tropical cocktails.

Read some of these threads. See the swamp to pool conversions. Your pool is nothing like those, but it will be if you don't take action soon. Don't go to the pool store and waste money on snake oils and powdered shock.

Thanks for this feedback Kimkats, JVTrain, and Richard320. I really appreciate it.

Since I posted this morning and have returned from some meetings, my filter spiked and has sprung a leak. :mad: Be that as it may, I think I understand the point you're all making: my water is cloudy and the filter is doing it's job.

I actually own a test kit. What's crazy is that I learn best when I'm watching someone do something and explaining the whys and what-fors along the way. Maddeningly, when I speak to pool company reps and pool supply stores, they consistently say, "oh, just follow the directions" and "it's easy!" I'm no idiot, but I'm stumped.

At this point, I am going to review the threads Richard320 suggested. I'll also get the pools guys out here to fix the new leak. I'l wait to replace the filter. And I'll get some chlorine and see if I can figure out my Taylor K-2006 test kit.

If there's anyone in DC who'd be willing to mentor me a little, I'm be much obliged.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks kimkats. My pool is currently a little cloudy; not much more than that. I'll post a photo in a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

There's come visible debris, but not tons. I suppose is possible theres something in the pump wheel that's clogging the system. Getting into that is going to be a bear and probably beyond my physical limitation at this point in my life.

So I just spoke with a different pool company guy. He thinks the DE membrane is clogged snd recommended a whole cleaning process (Dawn dish soap and then muriatic acid). This makes sense to me, especially because we had heavy pollen this year, but I wanted to get your input. Anyone have experience thoroughly cleaning a DE filter and, separately, what's the life expectance of these DE filters?

Jason, I watched a couple of "How to clean a DE filter" videos. You will need to find the one that fits YOUR model. It does not look hard. You can also do a search here at TFP and there are all kinds of posts about it. I bet if you found a member that has your model or close to it they would help you with how they did it.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.