New to pool maintenance

Jun 10, 2015
Northwest Indiana
Hi there,

I found you site while "google searching" the Nature 2 system. I was sold a bunch of garbage at the Great Escape in my area. Thank God, I came on here before I hooked it up. It will get returned tomorrow. I also ordered the TF-100 test kit, I dont have any test number yet.

We bought a house with an existing 4 year old 21' AG pool. It had been "professionally winterized' by their pool guy. When I peeked under the cover it was crystal clear. The problem came when I drained the cover. I got most of the water out but not enough. When I finish pulling it off alot of the decomposed leaves leaked out the side. I jumped into the pool to save it but it was too late. lol A stream of leave diarrhea swirled around the pool.

Now, Im gathering as much info as I can from this site. As of right now most of the big leave particles are gone. Ive been skimming them and running the pump. I had to add about 5-7" of well water to bring up the height. I dumped 4 1lb packets of the MAxBlue shock in so far. Now, Im holding off until I can get some real numbers to adjust.

Opened 6/9/15 added 4 1lb Maxblue powders

Water condition 6/11/15
Cloudy blue can barely see the bottom
test kit on order

Thanks in advance

Welcome to TFP!

:goodjob: on ordering the TF-100.

Your doing almost everything right. The only reason I say "almost" is because of this statement:
scsbronco said:
I dumped 4 1lb packets of the MAxBlue shock in so far.
Those "shock" products can contain other chemicals that can have a deleterious impact on your pool. I would switch to plain unscented liquid bleach for chlorine - add about 1/2 a bottle per day until your kit arrives.

TFP is about adding only what's needed to manage your pool. Here are some resources that give you an overview of our methods:
1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
2. Chlorine CYA Chart
3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
4. Recommended Levels
5. Pool Math

When your kit arrives, test and post the results and we will go from there.

Hello! You will be so glad you found us! We will get your pool clear and make it sparkle!

You have already made a huge step with getting the test kit on the way. I can't wait to see your test results.

For right now go price shopping to find your best bleach price. It might be at Walmart, Sams, ACE Hardware, pool store, etc. Make sure it is fresh and check the % when you price it out.

Do you have any pucks in the chlorinator? If so go ahead and take it out. You can save it for when you go out of town or such.

Kim

I took back the Fusion 2 today. BOY, was the guy at the pool store ******.

"what wrong with it?"

Me "nothing, I just don't want a bunch of unnecessary chemicals and metals in my pool"

"copper and silver clean and sanitize you pol they are natural elements"

Me "I don't care Ill take care of my pool myself"

"we usually don't let people return chemicals"

Me "guess what you are today!"

My test kit is coming monday!!!!

For right now only use the drop kit for the chlorine testing.

If your FC is really 41 your PH test will not work. Do not bother testing PH with a FC 10 or over.

With your CYA at 100 it could be higher as that is as high as it goes. You need to drain some water from your pool. :( Sorry.

Here is a link to Pool Math. It will tell you how much to drain.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Let me know if you need any help using it.

Kim

Have you ever had your well water tested for metals? Iron can be a big one for wells. If you have not had it test I would do so before doing anything. Some pool stores can test for it. It is the one test they kind of get right-------it does or does not have iron or copper.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I figured that. Pool math said 60%. Will I have more problems filling it back up with well water?
Iron can be a problem with well water. You probably already know if it's a problem from stains inside the toilet tank and so on. It's not the end of the world. Check out these before and after pictures from a homemade Iron filter.
attachment.php

attachment.php

This is the thread Just got Taylor-2006 Test Kit. Want to verify what I should add.

Another great picture
CAA2FF1F-orig.jpg

A Tale of Two Filters... and Ugly, Rusty Water.

And there's also the worry of overtaxing the well and drawing sediment in.

We moved into the house 2 months ago. I have literally been going nonstop. I only sleep a 3-6 hours a day. I know the iron is high I have a filter for the house. Ill decide tonight what im going to do. I cant babysit the pool I work 12hrs. So, Ill have to get the chemistry figured out soon. Then, I can pass it off on the wife for SLAM.

I filled the pool back up. It has a green tint to it but its still clear. I added 1 gal of bleach. Its been raining nonstop here. I haven't been able to test. I will try in the morning.
Green is okay. Rusty orange or coffee is even better. That means the Iron has precipitated so vacuuming it up or filtering it out will work. A brief backwash and it's gone. Try the paper towels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.