Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to pool maintenance

1. Back To Top    #1

New to pool maintenance

Hi there,

I found you site while "google searching" the Nature 2 system. I was sold a bunch of garbage at the Great Escape in my area. Thank God, I came on here before I hooked it up. It will get returned tomorrow. I also ordered the TF-100 test kit, I dont have any test number yet.

We bought a house with an existing 4 year old 21' AG pool. It had been "professionally winterized' by their pool guy. When I peeked under the cover it was crystal clear. The problem came when I drained the cover. I got most of the water out but not enough. When I finish pulling it off alot of the decomposed leaves leaked out the side. I jumped into the pool to save it but it was too late. lol A stream of leave diarrhea swirled around the pool.

Now, Im gathering as much info as I can from this site. As of right now most of the big leave particles are gone. Ive been skimming them and running the pump. I had to add about 5-7" of well water to bring up the height. I dumped 4 1lb packets of the MAxBlue shock in so far. Now, Im holding off until I can get some real numbers to adjust.

Opened 6/9/15 added 4 1lb Maxblue powders

Water condition 6/11/15
    Cloudy blue can barely see the bottom
    test kit on order

Thanks in advance
    21' above ground round, Splapool pump 72730, cartridge filter, 70167 inline chlorinator.
    TF-100 is on the way

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to pool maintenance

Welcome to TFP!

on ordering the TF-100.

Your doing almost everything right. The only reason I say "almost" is because of this statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by scsbronco
    I dumped 4 1lb packets of the MAxBlue shock in so far.
    Those "shock" products can contain other chemicals that can have a deleterious impact on your pool. I would switch to plain unscented liquid bleach for chlorine - add about 1/2 a bottle per day until your kit arrives.

TFP is about adding only what's needed to manage your pool. Here are some resources that give you an overview of our methods:
    1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    2. Chlorine CYA Chart
    3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
    4. Recommended Levels
    5. Pool Math

When your kit arrives, test and post the results and we will go from there.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Bo thank you for the reply,

The Maxblue shock was before finding this site lol. I posted that so, its all out there for everyone to see. I will pick up some bleach in the morning.

I assume I should keep the pump running for now.

Thank you very much
    21' above ground round, Splapool pump 72730, cartridge filter, 70167 inline chlorinator.
    TF-100 is on the way

4. Back To Top    #4

Hello! You will be so glad you found us! We will get your pool clear and make it sparkle!

You have already made a huge step with getting the test kit on the way. I can't wait to see your test results.

For right now go price shopping to find your best bleach price. It might be at Walmart, Sams, ACE Hardware, pool store, etc. Make sure it is fresh and check the % when you price it out.

Do you have any pucks in the chlorinator? If so go ahead and take it out. You can save it for when you go out of town or such.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I took back the Fusion 2 today. BOY, was the guy at the pool store ******.

"what wrong with it?"

Me "nothing, I just don't want a bunch of unnecessary chemicals and metals in my pool"

"copper and silver clean and sanitize you pol they are natural elements"

Me "I don't care Ill take care of my pool myself"

"we usually don't let people return chemicals"

Me "guess what you are today!"

My test kit is coming monday!!!!
    TF-100 is on the way

6. Back To Top    #6

Nice job! So sorry ps guy he found TFP! LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

tf-100 test kit came today confused by the results

chl- orange color
    pH 6.8 bright yellow
    FC = 41
    CC = 70 drops stayed clear no result may need to run test again
    tc- ?
    TA = 70 yellow
    CYA = 100

i will be testing again in a few hours

TF-100 is on the way

8. Back To Top    #8

For right now only use the drop kit for the chlorine testing.

If your FC is really 41 your PH test will not work. Do not bother testing PH with a FC 10 or over.

With your CYA at 100 it could be higher as that is as high as it goes. You need to drain some water from your pool. Sorry.

Here is a link to Pool Math. It will tell you how much to drain.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Let me know if you need any help using it.

Kim

9. Back To Top    #9

I figured that. Pool math said 60%. Will I have more problems filling it back up with well water?

10. Back To Top    #10

Have you ever had your well water tested for metals? Iron can be a big one for wells. If you have not had it test I would do so before doing anything. Some pool stores can test for it. It is the one test they kind of get right-------it does or does not have iron or copper.

Kim

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by scsbronco View Post
    I figured that. Pool math said 60%. Will I have more problems filling it back up with well water?
    Iron can be a problem with well water. You probably already know if it's a problem from stains inside the toilet tank and so on. It's not the end of the world. Check out these before and after pictures from a homemade Iron filter.

This is the thread Just got Taylor-2006 Test Kit. Want to verify what I should add.

Another great picture

A Tale of Two Filters... and Ugly, Rusty Water.

And there's also the worry of overtaxing the well and drawing sediment in.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

We moved into the house 2 months ago. I have literally been going nonstop. I only sleep a 3-6 hours a day. I know the iron is high I have a filter for the house. Ill decide tonight what im going to do. I cant babysit the pool I work 12hrs. So, Ill have to get the chemistry figured out soon. Then, I can pass it off on the wife for SLAM.
    TF-100 is on the way

13. Back To Top    #13

Tomorrow i think ill start by draining 1'4" out then refill.
    TF-100 is on the way

14. Back To Top    #14

I drained Half the pool filling it back up now.
    TF-100 is on the way

15. Back To Top    #15

Good start!

Kim

16. Back To Top    #16

I filled the pool back up. It has a green tint to it but its still clear. I added 1 gal of bleach. Its been raining nonstop here. I haven't been able to test. I will try in the morning.
    TF-100 is on the way

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by scsbronco View Post
    I filled the pool back up. It has a green tint to it but its still clear. I added 1 gal of bleach. Its been raining nonstop here. I haven't been able to test. I will try in the morning.
    Green is okay. Rusty orange or coffee is even better. That means the Iron has precipitated so vacuuming it up or filtering it out will work. A brief backwash and it's gone. Try the paper towels.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

18. Back To Top    #18

I'm still at 90-100 CYA after emptying half the pool

Orange
    6.8 ph
    Fc 41
    Cc clear no cc
    Ta 300
    Cya 90-100
    TF-100 is on the way

19. Back To Top    #19

awwwwwwwwwww so it was higher than we thought.

Drain some more please. You really need it down to 30 to SLAM. SOrry

Kim

20. Back To Top    #20

I have to talk it over with my wife if this is worth it. May just put it for sale. I've already put approximately 7k gal through the well.
    TF-100 is on the way