Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Building a pool. shouldve built a lawn

1. Back To Top    #1

Building a pool. shouldve built a lawn

Hi. New guy here. I recently ripped down an old 12x24 aluminum walled weismueller. hurricane sandy's salt water deluge turned the walls into swiss cheese. i've browsed the forums and am torn on how to proceed. i've got the wall up on my new 12x24 aluminum/resin coated pool but this one side pictured below concerns me. will hanging the liner [which seems to hang directly onto the top of the wall(?!)] and filling her up pop these wavys walls straight? my 4' level says everything is spot on. everything is lined up correctly, straps, pressure plates, rails. looking forward to hearing some good news and posting pictures of a perfect pool within a few days!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Building a pool. shouldve built a lawn

Welcome to TFP!

Good luck on this, I hope it goes your way.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I assure you water will place it's force in the outward direction. You'll still have a bit of a wave in the wall between the posts on the long sides of an oval pool.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeap. You won't get rid of these waves. My cousin and uncle have oval pool and they both have those waves. But you can't really see them once you fill the pool with water.
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies. They're putting my mind at ease!

6. Back To Top    #6

almost like the pool is a bit larger than the circle you are placing it in? it looks to be pretty taught/straight at the top of the photo, but seems to be too much excess the rest of the way
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by DaninFLA View Post
    almost like the pool is a bit larger than the circle you are placing it in? it looks to be pretty taught/straight at the top of the photo, but seems to be too much excess the rest of the way
    Thats what I was thinking. The rest of the walls not pictured look close to perfect. The thing that gets me is that everything is lined up perfectly, all the holes for bolts are as they should be, the wall is sitting in the tracks, popped out a bunch during installation but I finally got it together. Funny how all the instructions and videos make it seem so easy!

8. Back To Top    #8

Well here I am now. Still thinking I bit off more than I can chew. I tried the shopvac technique, didn't work out so well. The water in the pool now is just a bit of rain, I can still pull and move the liner but I just can't seem to get it hanging right on the two straight walls. Are ovals supposed to drive people crazy? I tried the plunger technique and even tried filling a few inches and now I just have ten sore fingers from working those wrinkles! Am I missing something?
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Back To Top    #9

shameless bump. just tried playing with it again. the liner on the straight sides are nowhere near touching the wall no matter how hard i tug on this thing. guess i shouldnt have installed all the top rails. about to start taking them all off and will attempt to rehang. the middle seam is directly in the middle of the pool. ANY tips before my wife comes home and buries me in this hole?

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

I have done some liner installs but only on an IG instead of an AG. The vacuum is ESSENTIAL on IG installations and it seems like you may need to revisit if that would be helpful.

Casey will probably be along and she is very knowledgeable about liner installs.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Last bump... Sorry.