Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rant about dollar store bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Rant about dollar store bleach

I was on my way back from work and knew I needed chlorine for my pool, so I stopped at Family dollar store to buy some bleach. It's the easiest to stop at place by a long shot for me. I've had good results with their bleach before. 6% meant around 5.2. So I bought the last two gallons on the shelf of it to make up the 48 oz I would need. Got home. Tested the water. Added what I figured. Waited an hour. Tested again. Came up with same amount. Tried testing again, but same. Not having any distilled water, I just mixed half of the bleach and half of pool water and tested. Came out almost zero. Tested with 10ml of straight "bleach"... ZERO. Pink with the powder? No. Nothing! Be warned! Lucky I had some cal hypo tabs and my calcium is low enough. I bought bleach a week ago from them with good results. Now their bleach is nothing more than water and NaH. Sure raised my pH. They may have ran out and found some in the back that's old as me.
    Intex 26' x 52" (14.5k) Intex SWG. 14" sand filter. Taylor k-2006 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rant about dollar store bleach

All bleach bottles have a date code on them. I'd bet that if you look at those, you will find it was very old.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry that happened to you. That is a good lesson to us all to check the date codes.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I always wonder what people think when I'm spinning every bottle on the shelf around to get a buggy full........
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Since you used the FAS-DPD to test the bleach it'll bleach out at that concentration. I'd use the OTO test to see if there's any chlorine in it. It'll get nasty looking, but it won't bleach out.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

That is the downside to the FAS-DPD test. It can give a false 0. Anytime you get a 0 reading on it, always verify with the OTO test.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

7. Back To Top    #7

It can give a false zero, but the FC has to be much higher than anything we recommend before that happens. I've purposefully mixed a solution of over 100ppm FC and it read it accurately. It's really not a concern unless you've added an extreme amount of FC.

I do agree with Steve about double checking any zero reading with the OTO.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit