Best pump under $500

Apr 11, 2014
Central Tx
So I think my 20+ year old Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II finally bit the dust. It was leaking pretty bad so I took it apart and replaced every seal and bearing, and now the **** thing won't even turn over. I don't know how old it actually is, but the part number is from a pre-1998 model, so needless to say, I think it's time to move on to something new. The catch is, I'm in the military and I know I'll be moving in less than 2 years so I don't want to break the bank. I'm just looking for something cheap and effective that will get the job done. I want to stick to a single or 2-speed pump just for simplicity. Right now I just have a manual switch and timer and I'd like to stick to that. Any suggestions for a relatively similar plug-n-play pump that will get me by? My current setup is in my sig.

Give the size of your pool, a 1 HP 2 speed would probably work well for you, assuming you have 230V to the pump and no water features that you need to power. Although a 1.5 HP may be easier to find, and likely cheaper to buy. As to best place to buy I would suggest trying ebay, there are often pumps for sale at good prices, often old stock, distressed merchandise, or just people trying to liquidate inventory or sometimes no name specials. Just make sure you buy one for a inground pool, as above ground pool pumps often will not dry prime.

Here are a few that may interest you

auction for a returned pump Pentair 012530 WhisperFlo High Performance Energy Efficient Two Speed Full Rated | eBay

Discontinued Hayward older pump double check the specs to make sure it is inground has has a filter basket
New Hayward 1HP Power Flo Dual Speed Motor SP1720 | eBay

New Pentair inground pump
New Pentair Pool Pump 1 HP 230 V 43200 Gal 2 Speed Motor FPT20510 | eBay

Hayward Maxflo II (popular pump)
Hayward SP2710X152 Max Flo II 1 1 2 HP Standard Efficient Dual Speed Pump | eBay

Jandy 2 speed flopro same pump I have, mostly like it but it can be a knuckle buster and o-ring needs frequent re-lubrication

Jandy FHPM1 5 2 Pool Pump Flopro Medium Head 1 1 2HP Up Rated Dual Speed | eBay

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.