Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best pump under $500

1. Back To Top    #1

Best pump under $500

So I think my 20+ year old Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II finally bit the dust. It was leaking pretty bad so I took it apart and replaced every seal and bearing, and now the **** thing won't even turn over. I don't know how old it actually is, but the part number is from a pre-1998 model, so needless to say, I think it's time to move on to something new. The catch is, I'm in the military and I know I'll be moving in less than 2 years so I don't want to break the bank. I'm just looking for something cheap and effective that will get the job done. I want to stick to a single or 2-speed pump just for simplicity. Right now I just have a manual switch and timer and I'd like to stick to that. Any suggestions for a relatively similar plug-n-play pump that will get me by? My current setup is in my sig.
    23,000 gal, in-ground, plaster with 24" sand filter, 1.5" piping.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best pump under $500

Give the size of your pool, a 1 HP 2 speed would probably work well for you, assuming you have 230V to the pump and no water features that you need to power. Although a 1.5 HP may be easier to find, and likely cheaper to buy. As to best place to buy I would suggest trying ebay, there are often pumps for sale at good prices, often old stock, distressed merchandise, or just people trying to liquidate inventory or sometimes no name specials. Just make sure you buy one for a inground pool, as above ground pool pumps often will not dry prime.

Here are a few that may interest you

auction for a returned pump Pentair 012530 WhisperFlo High Performance Energy Efficient Two Speed Full Rated | eBay

Discontinued Hayward older pump double check the specs to make sure it is inground has has a filter basket
    New Hayward 1HP Power Flo Dual Speed Motor SP1720 | eBay

New Pentair inground pump
    New Pentair Pool Pump 1 HP 230 V 43200 Gal 2 Speed Motor FPT20510 | eBay

Hayward Maxflo II (popular pump)
    Hayward SP2710X152 Max Flo II 1 1 2 HP Standard Efficient Dual Speed Pump | eBay

Jandy 2 speed flopro same pump I have, mostly like it but it can be a knuckle buster and o-ring needs frequent re-lubrication

Jandy FHPM1 5 2 Pool Pump Flopro Medium Head 1 1 2HP Up Rated Dual Speed | eBay
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. I do have 220V available and no water feature. I'd like to stick with something new if I can just to buy me a bit of time with a warranty. The last thing I want to happen is for this thing to go out again.
    23,000 gal, in-ground, plaster with 24" sand filter, 1.5" piping.

4. Back To Top    #4

I saw a 1.5 hp in ground in Home Depot for $398. Won't last 20 yrs heck probubly not 5 but should for a few at least
    Flo tech I believe it was
    Using Tapatalk

5. Back To Top    #5

For your situation, since you will be moving in less than two years, I would go with a 1/2 hp one speed pump. If you were staying there longer, I would recommend a 1 hp two speed pump. I would get the Pentair SuperFlo 1/2 HP Pump 340036 for $299.95 shipped.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG