Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Film foam

1. Back To Top    #1

Film foam

Hi all, I am not sure where I should post this or if I should start a new thread, sorry still getting the hang of this. I opened my pool 3 weeks ago to a green mess ( I use a mesh cover) I cleaned it added bleach and some algicide not the foaming one I learned after rubber ducky looked like he was taking a bubble bath. It cleared up in about a day but it was cloudy so I put in a new filter and i have been patiently testing and slamming and my water is no longer cloudy but it has this foam film kind of stuff still floating on the water, I put a sock on the skimmer basket and this fuzzy stuff that reminds me of pollen collects on it so I keep changing it I forgot to mention I vacuum and brushed everyday for 2 weeks I am now brushing daily and skimming and slamming because I don't know what that stuff is can you help? Here's a picture
    Thanks

Beacon, NY installed June 2011 8000k gal 18x52 round vinyl AG 150 sf cartridge filter 1.5 hp proline pump, aquabot rover hybrid cleaning machine tf-100 test kit and aqua check test strips. Pool school.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Film foam

Quote Originally Posted by Golddlocs
    ...I cleaned it added bleach and some algicide ...
    Assuming nothing else was added to the pool aside from these two chemicals, the foaming could either be caused by the algaecide or bleach that has either a fragrance or a thickener added. You only want to use plain, unscented liquid bleach without any thickeners. Going forward, there is no need for using an algaecide in this circumstance. Chlorine, and chlorine alone, is all you need to keep you pool sanitized and sparkling.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Checked bleach bottles plain clorox double checked algicide and it's not the bubbles you get from detergent it's almost like oil on top of water and when I look in the skimmer you can see a film on top of the water, not a lot it's weird it's almost like a froth you get on a latte, and yes I know moving forward I don't have to use algicide. I was considering adding borates after the water is clear.

Beacon, NY installed June 2011 8000k gal 18x52 round vinyl AG 150 sf cartridge filter 1.5 hp proline pump, aquabot rover hybrid cleaning machine tf-100 test kit and aqua check test strips. Pool school.

4. Back To Top    #4

Are patio furniture, windowsills and parked cars covered with pollen? Then so's your pool. Dry pollen might blow away. Once it hits your pool, it sticks.

If not pollen, then it's likely a reaction between various pool chemicals. Algaecides, phosfree and Calhypo have all been reported as villains. Be grateful it isn't this bad

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

That picture looks like move you just have a lot more so is that pollen? Because when I remove the skimmer sock it has some fuzzy stuff on it so maybe it's pollen? Any suggestions on how to get rid of it or just don't worry about it,? Should I stop slamming it?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Golddlocs View Post
    That picture looks like move you just have a lot more so is that pollen? Because when I remove the skimmer sock it has some fuzzy stuff on it so maybe it's pollen? Any suggestions on how to get rid of it or just don't worry about it,? Should I stop slamming it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    AGain, look around the pool and see if other things are covered with pollen.

And no, that isn't pollen in that pool. That's chemical soup. Click on the image and it will take you to the thread.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

No pollen maybe it's left over stuff from last year? I used the mesh cover and all the snow melted and I didn't need to top it off do you think it could be the chemical I used to close the pool? Is That an algicide?