Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Splashless Clorox

1. Back To Top    #1

Splashless Clorox

I made the mistake of adding the splash-less clorox to my 22000 gal in ground pool. Its been 3 days and i still see foam on the surface. Should I shock with the regular clorox, or wait till the foam is gone? How long does it usually take for the foam to disappear? Ive never used the splash-less before, and didn't realize it wasn't the regular stuff. I dumped about 8 gallons in the pool. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Don't buy "Splash-less" Chlorox

Welcome to TFP!

Sorry to hear about this mistake. Just scoop off the foam from the surface. That's the fastest way to remove it and the rest will eventually dissipate. SLAMing won't help very much since chlorine doesn't react much with soap. Your pool will probably be mostly cleared up in a few more days, especially if you remove surface foam.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Splashless Clorox

There is not much you can really do for this other than give it time, scoop away, and perhaps try one of the absorbant products like a scum ball or Zorb-o in the skimmer
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the reply, the foam isnt thick enough to scoop. When I tried to scoop, it just seems to flow through the net back into the water. I was thinking of maybe filling the pool till it over flows and get rid of it that way. Thoughts on that please?

5. Back To Top    #5

It's an idea that might work, but the oil-absorbant pads would likely work as well. Depends on whether you can afford to waste the water to overflow since it's probably a lot of water unless you have a rather small pool. It will dissipate so by the time you do all of this it may be nearly gone. Again, up to you since it isn't causing any harm.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

What about using a pool noodle to push the foam into a small area, then a snow shovel or other solid scoop to lift it out?
    21000gal IG plaster, Sacramento CA area (late 1950s/early 60s)
    Filter: Cartridge, Pentair CCP420 (2014)
    Main pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VS (2015)
    Boost pump: 3/4hp (2011), Polaris 280 cleaner (unknown age)

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

crazzy idea, not sure if it would work or react the same way a spa does, but for the spa we use foam away... like this Amazon.com : Leisure Time HQ Spa Foam Down, 32 oz Bottle : Hot Tub Chemicals : Patio, Lawn Garden

I think walmart has something like this... Again I am not sure it would work the same way, maybe try a small patch of foam and see if it does anything..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for all the feedback You guys rock!!!. I like the snow shovel idea. (adaptive engineering), Ill check Walmart to see if they carry that product (Spa foam down) Ill also look for the oil absorbent pads as well. I noticed the foam has subsided quite a bit after I turn off the pump. Ill wait until tomorrow, and see what it looks like, and then Clean out the filters. Lesson learned about reading the labels of the bleach I buy. The labeling looks the same as the regular bleach.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    It's an idea that might work, but the oil-absorbant pads would likely work as well. Depends on whether you can afford to waste the water to overflow since it's probably a lot of water unless you have a rather small pool. It will dissipate so by the time you do all of this it may be nearly gone. Again, up to you since it isn't causing any harm.
    I know this is digging up an old thread, but I just made this mistake as I see from even older threads that this OP and I have not been the only ones. Should have known when I checked halfway through and couldn't find the 8.25% label listed anywhere. Anyway, I know it does not seem to be a problem to the pool itself, and this may qualify as a not-so-bright question, but is it safe to swim?
    23,000 gallon IG vinyl pool, Sand Filter Hayward Vari-Flo XL Valve Model

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

it is safe you may notice some bubbles but it's fine...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    it is safe you may notice some bubbles but it's fine...
    Thank you, just wanted to double check before tossing kids in there!
    23,000 gallon IG vinyl pool, Sand Filter Hayward Vari-Flo XL Valve Model