Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Measure existing pool slope?

1. Back To Top    #1

Measure existing pool slope?

So my gunite is in, but it's pretty obvious the shallow end slope is wrong. From the pic in the layout, there's an 8' shallow section where the slope doesn't look to be more than 10 degrees. Standing on the gunite, it's obvious that the slope is massive, easily 45-50 degrees, or more. I've texted the foreman about my concern, but from the tone of his response, I think this might become an issue. The layout drawing doesn't list a slope degree, but it's obvious to any person standing in the pool that the slope is extremely slanted. I'm supposed to have a meeting with the PB to review this, but I'm not sure how to "prove" the slope is wrong.

This is the layout:

It's hard to tell what the slope is in the pic, but it's pretty steep:

Any quick/easy way to measure? I'm betting that my designer, when she created the design with Pool Studio, has a slope listed somewhere...I just don't have it.
    36 x 16 IG, SWG, FAFCO Solar Heating System, WetEdge Primera Stone Sky Blue Treasure, 8.5' - 3.5' depth, 6' S.R. Smith Flyte-Deck II Dive Stand, Interfab X-Stream slide, 27k gallons, doggy tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers, 2.75 Hayward Tristar pump, Hayward 425 cart filter, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward ColorLogic 4.0 light, Dolphin Z5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Measure existing pool slope?

Did this slope exist after the pool was dug and laid with rebar. I would assume so. Your PB will likely argue that you accepted it by not complaining at that point. Your response could b that you were unaware that the eventual slope would correspond exactly to the slope of the dig. I don't think that's a particularly strong argument though
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

3. Back To Top    #3

That does look steep. You can measure the angle by going straight down (perpendicular to the top edge). Ours is similar. I almost wish we'd made it one depth across. To get from shallow to deepest point they have to slant it. How shallow is your shallowest end?
    You can look at ours in New pool , Manor, Texas if you want to.

New pool build in Manor, Texas. 2015. 509 sq. feet; 31'6" x 19'10". Sunshelf & bubbler and waterfall sheer. Gunite inground pool. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump; Filter: Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge; Inline chlorination w/UV Sys;Lighting:Pentair IntelliBrite Color LED 120V;Cleaner: KK Racer w/booster.Bench/ledge;limestone Coping; Verona Tile 562 Decking

4. Back To Top    #4

Min allowed would be 21' from deep end wall to the 5 ft depth mark. Leaving you 15' to transition from 5' to 3.5'.

Take a look at page 4 here: http://www.srsmith.com/media/47241/0...i-standard.pdf

I would definately be upset about the slope. I'd ask for them to correct it. They can correct it to a degree.

We break ground today. I just provided my PB with exactly what I wanted before they start digging to avoid any issues. here is what I gave my PB yesterday.
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

Regardless of slope degree it doesn't look from the pic that he gave you the roughly 7' of shallow end.If he did , it would of been even steeper. Just measure off the end wall the corresponding measurement at the bottom of your specs. Then measure down the corresponding depth measurement . It won't be exact because of of plaster and coping thickness but it should be close
    14x26 rectangle vinyl liner pool . 1.5 hp 2 speed tri star pump, 2 aqua genie skimmers , no main drain. 175 sq ft star clear cartridge filter. 200,000 btu hayward heater Tf-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Based on what I provided above. Here are the depths at measurement from the deep end wall I'd request.

2.5' from wall, depth should be 7'8"
    10.5' from wall, depth should be 8'6"
    21' from wall, depth should be 5'

Flight taking off so don't have time to check distance on the rest.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.

7. Back To Top    #7

The best way to measure it is to lay something straight across the pool at the shallow break and the deep break and measure from there to the bottom in both places and subtract them and then measure the distance between them. That will work out to something like a "4' rise over a 10' run". We can figure an angle from that.

On the plan, the mean slope from 7' deep to 4' deep is 22º, but taking in the swales and curves it's probably closer to 30º in the middle of the slope. That's a pretty steep slope.

The slope from 8'6" to 7' is only 2º
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

When you first posted your pics after it was shoot I thought it looked steep but was hoping it was just the angle of the camera.

To me it looks more like a slide to get to the deep end instead of a useable shallow end.

Let us know what your PB says.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

The problem is your 21' depth is 7ft. It should be 2' higher. A 1' raise across 3' is ok going from 8.5' to 5'.

10. Back To Top    #10

So I haven't talked to the PB yet, but I realize now it's just an easy math problem, if I knew any trig. The shallow end has a 6" drop over a length of 94" (depth and length are marked in the pool depth pic). I asked on another board what the degree is for a 6" drop over a length of 94" and was told 8.9 degrees, but I'm not sure how to check it. Anyway, if someone here knows trig, I'd appreciate the help.
    36 x 16 IG, SWG, FAFCO Solar Heating System, WetEdge Primera Stone Sky Blue Treasure, 8.5' - 3.5' depth, 6' S.R. Smith Flyte-Deck II Dive Stand, Interfab X-Stream slide, 27k gallons, doggy tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers, 2.75 Hayward Tristar pump, Hayward 425 cart filter, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward ColorLogic 4.0 light, Dolphin Z5

11. Back To Top    #11

inverse_tan(6/94) = 3.65 degrees
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    inverse_tan(6/94) = 3.65 degrees
    Cool, thanks.

13. Back To Top    #13

So I just measured. The height change is supposed to be 6 inches over the 7' 10" stretch of shallow end. It's actually 16 inches, so 10 inches off....way steep.

14. Back To Top    #14

Did you speak to PB? What did they say?

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by spool View Post
    Did you speak to PB? What did they say?
    Not yet. He texted yesterday and said he was coming by today. Never saw him. I measured that stuff tonight and sent the info to him, in case he thought I was going to forget about it. If I don't hear from him tomorrow I'm calling Texas Pool and Patios to speak to the owner or manager. Danielle, the girl that was I guess my "sales rep", doesn't really want anything to do with this and has told me to "call Kevin" (the foreman) when I email her my concerns/questions. Too bad. I'm going to keep cc'ing her on emails so there is some kind of paper trail of my issues.

16. Back To Top    #16

That new graphic looks more like it really is-a "ramp" to the deep end. Not good.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

I would make them fix that for sure but you should be aware that based on your schematic unless one of the depths is off you will have a steeper slope in a shorter distance when they make your shallow end flatter.
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by ouachita View Post
    I would make them fix that for sure but you should be aware that based on your schematic unless one of the depths is off you will have a steeper slope in a shorter distance when they make your shallow end flatter.
    You say that like that I'm unaware of what the design is supposed to be. The design and slope were clearly laid out from day one, it's in the first "Pool Depth" pic I posted.

19. Back To Top    #19

Building is such a stressful process. I hope your PB listens and realizes the mistake so it can be fixed without incident. It looks like it will be a beautiful pool for you to enjoy.

Building 20x40 free-form pool; pebble sheen, caretaker in floor, swg, intelliflo pump, heater. Sundance 800 spa happily in use. More to come!

20. Back To Top    #20

Good job keeping a paper trail. Make sure to keep all of your texts as well.

I hope the PB shows up and does not make you go the next step.

I am pulling for you!

Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast