Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water temp question

1. Back To Top    #1

Water temp question

Hey all,

I have a very old heater that has a 3rd party digital thermostat built into it to control the temps better for the attached spa. Sort of like an aftermarket thermostat

The probe for the thermostat is in a return side pipe right before the water flows into the heater.
    Its after the water flows through the basket, multiport, and is filtered.

This works very well, but the temp of this device is consistently showing about 1.5-2 degrees cooler than the pool thermometer is saying.

My question is... If I move this probe closer to the suction valve. Maybe before the water even goes through the pump basket. Can I possibly get a more accurate result? In other words, is it possible the water is cooling down a bit during the filtration process? Thanks a million!!
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water temp question

What makes you think the pool thermometer is correct? We had the same issue when I installed our Solartouch, it read a couple of degrees lower than our $5 pool thermometer drove my wife crazy which drove me crazy. I threw away the pool thermometer and life has been good ever since.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

I think you are correct. I have 2 of those cheapo thermometers. Turns out one of them is exactly the same temp as the probe thermostat and the other is about 3 degrees off.

Then when I heat the spa, the accurate one shows about 4 degrees hotter than the probe thermostat. So Im thinking these things are basically just garbage. Ill trust the thermostat and look for a better thermometer.

Thanks
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Or thermometers....
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

This is really funny

The only reason it makes an actual difference to me is because the difference between 102 degrees in the spa and 106 degrees, is one is a comfortable, relaxing night. The other is being cooked like a lobster
    So I have to find something accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post

Or thermometers....