Need some guidance with SLAMing

Apr 21, 2014
United States
This is my first year opening a pool. We normally take it down over winter. I'm in the process of SLAMing and need to know if I'm doing something wrong.

FC: 17.5
CC: 1
pH: 7.4
TA: 100
CYA: 60

The SWG is running most of the day and night. I have been using concentrated bleach and just added the 7th 121oz jug since yesterday. The water looks better but it is still cloudy and I can't quite see the bottom yet. After looking at the Chlorine/CYA chart I thought the FC needed to be 28. I added the bleach in the amounts recommended by PoolMath calculations and can't seem to get CC high enough. Am I missing something? Do I need more bleach?

One other question, we're going out of town in a few days. If I go through all this now and get the water clear, is it likely to stay that way while I'm gone? I hate to spend all this time and money in vain.

1. You need to turn off the SWG while you are slamming.
2. If you FC levels are not getting to the recommended slam levels are you sure you are using the pool Calculator correctly? Or you may not have estimated the correct volume/gallons for your pool.

If you get your water clear and pass all 3 slam criteria:
1.CC is 0.5 or lower;
2.You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
3.And the water is clear.
You should be able to bring it up to slam levels and not drop below recommended FC levels while you are gone. Or if you have a family member or neighbor come by to add some liquid chlorine to keep levels above min FC.

Okay, I'm even more confused now. I was confusing FC and CC, thinking that the chlorine levels on the Chlorine/CYA chart were for CC. Just realized it says FC. I have never had FC over 1. Last year we had no algae problems. How in the world do I get the FC level to 28 to shock when I'm struggling to get the CC that high? I'd have to spend major money on bleach. Someone help me before I drain it. lol

I think you are confused. I will see if I can help clear it up so you can clear up your pool ;)

FC is free chlorine. This is what kills algae and keeps your pool sanitary. This is added via bleach or your SWG.

CC is combined chlorine. This is the bad stuff that is created when chlorine kills something. You want this number to be near zero, but it will move around while you SLAM.

To SLAM you need to add enough bleach to get your FC to the proper level for your CYA. Use PoolMath to figure out how much. After a couple hours you test again and add enough bleach to bring your FC back up to SLAM level.

Does that help at all?

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.